Might make the jump to a iMac

Soldato
Ok i'm thinking of selling my vista gaming rig which is

QX6700 @ 3.5
4GB Ram
8800GTX
24" Dell Monitor

and getting a 24" iMac but wanted to ask a couple of questions first.

1) Can I still install vista on it with bootcamp like my Macbook Pro to play some games.

2) If i can do this what is the ATI 2600Pro like with games (anyone tried it yet) Battlefield 2, COD 4 etc and will you beable to upgrade the GPU at a later date. :D

I have a MBP at the mo with osx/vista and love it and would love to get a all in one unit but like to play games from time to time.

Soldato
Yes you can install Vista on it.

People have tried it on here, it isn't amazing, but it will run your games OK. Just remember Macs aren't designed to run games.

Soldato
2) If i can do this what is the ATI 2600Pro like with games (anyone tried it yet) Battlefield 2, COD 4 etc and will you beable to upgrade the GPU at a later date. :D

The iMac's GPU cannot be upgraded on your end, it's not like a swap of a GPU card like normal PC unfortunately. It will be able to game but more often than not, you'll not be able to game natively on the 24", at least not with high settings anyway.

Your better bet is to have the 20" version with the higher GPU RAM version - but seeing as you've got a gamer rig and a 24" dell, you'll find there will be something lacking with the 20".

Yes it can game but no, you won't have the same ommph! as you have with your current Rig, so that's the decision you have to make.

Personally, if you've already got a MacBook Pro and a Gaming Rig, don't change it if you're gonna game, even if it's for the "occasional moments", better off sticking with your MacBook Pro for the occasional gaming and sell your Rig now - save the money till something major comes out :)

Permabanned
tbh sound like been pushed by apple mac advertising and "cool factor"
Forget gaming on a mac.

Keep your PC buy a Mac. Do not sell your PC to fund your mac.

Soldato
Boot camp, for me, is more reliable than my actual pc. Its running nicely, and when I put the Mac Pro to sleep whilst running Vista it actually wakes without BSODing on me :)

Not tried gaming, I've got 8 core penryn and 2gb of ram (will have more when crucial release some) but the ATi is a bit pony and will prob struggle abit, but Id like to get my 8800GTX in there and check out Crysis on 2560x1600!

Eitherway, bootcamp is very good!

Back
Top Bottom