Migrating a WordPress site

Associate
I have been working on a WordPress site for a client and have finished the site on my own web hosting package. I have created a new hosting package on Fasthosts at the request of the client and now I need to export the site from my server to the new server, not something I have done before.

I have quite a few custom plugins, widgets and a customised paid template and obviously I want to keep everything as is without anything breaking.

I see in the admin panel there is an option Tools > Export but this only covers comments and posts etc. So can anyone point me in the direction of how to best export the entire database and site settings/content and then import it to the Fasthosts account?

Cheers!

Associate
OP
I have cPanel on my own server which is Vidahost but not sure on Fasthosts as waiting on the domain transferring before I can setup a website instance but I believe its cPanel their as well.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the help, got the database transferred over and the wp site is working but still one major issue. When I click any of my links they are still pointing to my old install on my own server. Just emailed the client to say its live and then noticed this so need to fix it asap.

See http://nelsongray.com/ and try clicking ay of the menu links and you will see its directs to my cruitme.com domain :(

Hoping this is an easy fix?

Associate
OP
Ok cool got the plugin working now so what should I enter as old url and new url?

old: cruitme.com/projects/nelson
new: nelsongray.com

?

Associate
OP
Download the stable version of this -> https://interconnectit.com/products/search-and-replace-for-wordpress-databases/

Upload it to your web server and extract it.

Navigate to this folder in your browser. from there just enter www.original-address.com in the replace field and www.new-address.com in the with field.

Click live run and then check your links. If its worked delete the utility.

That should be it mate, if you get stuck, let me know :)

Running this sorted it out, thanks a lot mate :D

Back
Top Bottom