MilanoChris's rig

Man of Honour
So, I've been building computers for 10 years or so, I've been on here for 5 years and not once made a post in this section.

So here goes, current spec:

i7-2600k @ 4.5GHz
G.Skill Ripjaws-X 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3 1600
ASUS P8P67 PRO B3
XFX 5850 Black Edition & XFX 5850 XX Editiion in Crossfire
X-Fi Fatal1ty
Enermax Infiniti 720W
Silverstone Fortress FT02B-W
H70 CPU Cooler
Zalman fan controller
Dell 2407WFP
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
WD AAKS 640GB x2
WD Caviar Green 1TB
WD 250 backup drive

My desk and PC:

PC10.jpg

PC9.jpg

PC11.jpg

Case onto the desk for photo's and a quick clean:

PC8.jpg

The good stuff:

PC1.jpg

PC2.jpg

PC4.jpg

PC3.jpg

PC7.jpg

As you can see, my soundcard is old and also PCI, due to this, the only free slot is right bang between the two GPUs, which causes one to be hotter than the other. To that end, I've just ordered an Asus D2X which should be here tomorrow, it's PCIe X1, so will sit behind GPU 1. Due to my current living situation, 5.1 is a bit of a waste, hence my 5.1 speakers are set up in 2.1 at the moment. My 5.1 gaming need is delivered through my Turtle Beach X41 headset. I use the speakers for YouTube, background music etc, so to couple the new sound card, I've also ordered a set of Edifier R1600T Studio Plus 2.0 Monitors. :D

There's a couple of things I'd like to do to tidy the build, however I am more performance minded than aesthetic, so if there's something that will improve performance, I will always chose this over tidying something in the case.

First off, I'd like a new optical drive, preferably one that's black. I used to have a Lian Li case, so I removed the front of my current drive to go with the Lian Li bezel and can't find it, so it looks a bit pap right now. I saw an LG one in black a while ago, but I'm also toying with the idea of just having a USB one that can be hidden away since I barely use the optical drive.

I'd also like to get some new SATA cables, so they are all the same colours and easier to manage. I've seen some Lian Li ones I like that are grouped and numbered, any others around?

I'd also like a new style long PSU, as you can see below, my current one is a box style one, so doesn't sit quit flush with the case. I doubt it will effect cooling at all, but it's something that's bugging me so a new 1KW+ unit should be going in before the next gen GPUs come out.

PC5.jpg

PC6.jpg

Finally, I want to replace the fans on the H70 and run them straight off the motherboard, so I can remove the Zalman controller and give the front end a much cleaner look.

I think that's it for now.

I'll add to this as it progresses thorough its life. Please let me know what you think. I'm no pro, and I know it needs tidying here and there, but please understand that I am very lazy and this is probably one of the most cleanest builds I've ever had.

Man of Honour
OP
The nice man from DPD arrived this morning and brought me some presents.

PC01.jpg

Old vs new:

PC02.jpg

After hunting around my flat for a floppy power connector, I finally found one, so put the card in and connected it up.

PC03.jpg

PC04.jpg

Definitely a lot more room for GPU1 to breathe.

Top of the case now:

PC05.jpg

And a finished pic with the new speakers on the desk:

PC06.jpg

Temperatures are much closer on the two GPUs now and I am happy with the new sound combination.

Man of Honour
OP
nice build, but why have a window on the case if you cant see the inside ? :confused:

It was on this week only offer, so the same price as a normal one. I'm also looking at moving soon, so will try to get the case in a position where I can see it.

Man of Honour
OP
Another 8GB ordered, along with a 2TB Seagate drive.

The last time I bought a Seagate drive, I regretted it, it was noisy and I soon sold and bought a WD. I have only ever wanted WD drives since, with the exception of SSDs of course, as to me, their RMA service is superb; however with the current HDD pricing situation, the Seagate was a bargain at "only" £75.

As for the RAM, I'll have 16GB, which is complete overkill I think.

But, for only £40, I thought why not? I will be keeping my CPU and motherboard for a long time, and maybe in the future, 16GB might make things easier? I know in photo editing programs I have seen 7GB + usage of RAM, so in some instances it will help, but 90% of the time it's overkill.

I do know that if I didn't buy it, and the price went up to over £80 in the next 6 months or so, I'd regret not getting it. Same as the current situation HDDs, should have got 2TB for £45 when I had the chance. Hindsight's a ......

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Good choice on the speakers. How you finding them? Got them myself and was pretty damn impressed.

I love them tbh, they are exactly what I expected, clear, great sound and the bass is low enough not to annoy people that live below me, means I can crank them up. :)

Back
Top Bottom