Milkyway@home - July update

Soldato
mwheader.gif

Team rank (Total Credit)________________Team Rank (Recently Awarded Credit-RAC)
tm61-269-0-1-60c5a9.png
tm61-269-1-1-60c5a9.png

So, whats happened since the last update, some serious crunching for a start :D

On the 19/06/2010 our RAC was 200,000, today our RAC is 287,936 and this has propelled the team to position 63 - fantastic effort team :D

Member Milestones

Andrew - 10000
Bann - 1000,5000,10000 (in one day......yesterday :eek:, Radeon 5800 goodness :D)
Berserker - 1000,5000,10000,20000,50000 :cool:
kolala - 100000
Cyclo - 10000000 :eek:
ReaVerUK - 20000
pnutty - 100000
madmac - 200000

To post your Tiffy's go here and click on your name, then follow the links at the bottom of the page.

Many thanks go to Berserker for providing this service at his own cost.

New Members

A big welcome to the new members since the last update -

Ewan 02/07
sadboydim 04/07
Fluff 05/07
Bann 06/07

Sig image's for forum usage should you require one, if you need any help setting it up all you need do is ask :)

dssa2.jpg
scotchsig.gif

welshsig.jpg

halz
* Join now​
* Milkyway@home runs faster on ATI GPU's, it does work on nvidia GPU's (min. GTX260) but you would be better off running SETi@Home
on that hardware if you want to get the very best out of it, having said that a new application could be released at any
time that could change that situation.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the update. MW@H is on my list now that I can't seem to keep my PCs stocked with Seti WUs. I did finally get a chunk yesterday just before they switched off but one PC only got a bunch of Cuda ones so it's doing Einstein. The other PC is doing MW when it's not doing Seti.

Do people ever look at Boinc total stats for parping et.al rather than project specific ones?

Soldato
Thanks for the news Halz, happy to get to 200K though I have been stomped by Beserker this week :D

Do people ever look at Boinc total stats for parping et.al rather than project specific ones?

I think this idea might have merit, due to seti I got out the habit of looking at the combined stats, but this idea does make sense now that there is more interest in boinc nowdays - maybe we should try a poll and see what people think?
The only thing against it is that it would favour the MW crunchers as their credit allocations are way above the norm especially when using ati cards. As far as I know, there is no plan to reduce the credit allocation in the pipeline so it looks like the problem is here for a while..

Should we start looking at the combined totals - what do people think?

Soldato
OP

No because ..........

Thanks for the news Halz, happy to get to 200K though I have been stomped by Beserker this week :D
Should we start looking at the combined totals - what do people think?

Sorry S'ah but its not the news, just an update, the news is in progress :)

Regards Boinc combined stats, I personally would not go down that road as it doesnt make great reading for the team.
I wont mention how many teams will overtake us in the next year on the 'combined front'.
I think its all down to ATI's lead in the market place and the new breed of GPU crunchers coming through, they have all got Radeons (well nearly all).
We have no chance against Radeon based teams as far as the combined score goes (as we are a mainly CUDA based team) , at least until an ATI gpu 'app' appears for SETI - then its a whole new ball game.
Having said all that the OcUK Milkyway and Seti teams are doing well in thier respective rankings and ATI's penetration into gpu computing will only see the Milkyway team go from strength to strength in the future as things stand at the moment.

As a team, if we are to remain competitive, we must not spread our collective resources to thinly, the team just isnt big enough for it at the moment.
If I made the rules for OcUK (most will be thankful I dont) I would say if you have an ATI gpu its Milkyway@home and if you have Nvidia its SETI and Einstein@Home as a backup project.

Does anyone care about Boinc Combined stats anyway ?........I dont but maybe I should.

And yes I agree, the credit scoring needs looking at, it just doesnt look right does it .................or are the Radeons that good ?

I did not mean to upset anyone by the text above but the success of OcUK's distributed computing teams (from a competitive stand point) is very important to me so the chance of being successful has to be there in the first place.
Historically, OcUK has been up with the best in the world, I would like to see it stay that way.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Nice to see Milkyway getting an update instead of Seti and folding all the time, thanks :D

Yes it is and it was the reason I took it on in the first place, a proper newletter will follow in the next few days so watch out for that.

By the way, outstanding output cyclo :cool:

Soldato
No because ..........
I think its all down to ATI's lead in the market place and the new breed of GPU crunchers coming through, they have all got Radeons (well nearly all).
We have no chance against Radeon based teams as far as the combined score goes (as we are a mainly CUDA based team) , at least until an ATI gpu 'app' appears for SETI - then its a whole new ball game.

Don't hold your breath - seti wu's don't require much double precision calculation so the speed advantage won't be that good for the Radeons crunching seti..

And yes I agree, the credit scoring needs looking at, it just doesnt look right does it .................or are the Radeons that good ?

Milkyway award far more credit for wu's than the seti equivalent. Add to that the amount of double precision calculations that each unit needs and the Radeons really shine. A 4870 can out crunch a 295 by a factor of 4 purely due to the way the double precision calculations are performed by each card...
Nvidia are not that good at double precision, I cant remember why, but Im sure that they don't implement it for the whole of the card, whereas ATI do...

As for the combined stats - maybe your thread for MW will encourage a few ati crunchers to the cause..

Associate
I understand why the combined stats are not useful, shame on those projects that skew the numbers ;)

Seti is set to use 99% of the resources here so still by far my main focus

Soldato
OP
As for the combined stats - maybe your thread for MW will encourage a few ati crunchers to the cause..

I'm counting on it mate :D

And, as things stand, I anticipate the Milkyway@home team will become OcUK's biggest team, its just a matter
of time - might be a while though.

Berserker - did you get the tiffys? - I used the email in your sig.

Soldato
OP
milkyway's back up now

Got a HD5830 coming tommorow aswell, should get around 350k credit a day in total :D

Nice, I thinks its time to get a radeon for one pc, shame I sold my 4870 and 5870, wish I had kept them, I knew I would regret selling the 5870.

Man of Honour
Just got my lowly 3850. No room in that PC for anything bigger (it won't take a double slot card). Only other PC I've got that might take one would be the Linux box (currently fitted with a passive GeForce 7300 GS).

Soldato
Oh well, one of my cunning plans didn't take off - I was planning on swapping my 8800GT for a 4850, but my dell PSU (305W) altough very very underated just isn't up for that sort of power long term, or it is borderline for it...
I have 2 12V rails with a total of 36A, which if I read it right is enough, but it is at the limit...
Bah bloody humbug :mad:

Now to think about plan B....

Soldato
Just got my lowly 3850. No room in that PC for anything bigger (it won't take a double slot card). Only other PC I've got that might take one would be the Linux box (currently fitted with a passive GeForce 7300 GS).

Might have to look for one of those - will check the power draw and size...

Back
Top Bottom