mwnewsheader.gif

teamtotal.png

usertotals.png

worldovertake.png

ukteamtotal.png

ukteamavg.png

milestones.png

newmembp.png

To post your Tiffy's go here and click on your name, then follow the links at the bottom of the page.

Many thanks go to Berserker for providing this service.

Other Items Of Interest

Microsoft Worldwide Telescope (Free)

WorldWide Telescope (WWT) enables your computer to function as a virtual telescope, bringing together imagery from the best ground and space-based telescopes in the world.

Celestia (Free)

The free space simulation that lets you explore our universe in three dimensions. Celestia runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X

Sig image's for forum usage should you require one, if you need any help setting it up all you need do is ask :)

dssa2.jpg
scotchsig.gif

welshsig.jpg

halz
* Join now​
* Milkyway@home runs a lot faster on ATI GPU's, it does work on nvidia GPU's (min. GTX260) but you would be better off running SETi@Home
on that hardware if you want to get the very best out of it, having said that a new application could be released at any
time that could change that situation.

Milkyway@Home requires a GPU supporting Double Precision arithmetic.

NVIDIA:
Compute Capability 1.3 and Above
Geforce GTX 295
Geforce GTX 285
Geforce GTX 280
Geforce GTX 275
Geforce GTX 260
Tesla S1070
Tesla C1060
Quadro Plex 2200 D2
Quadro FX 5800
Quadro FX 4800
(Based on GT200 GPU)

ATI:
ATI HD Radeon 5970
ATI HD Radeon 4870x2
ATI HD Radeon 5870
ATI HD Radeon 4850x2
ATI HD Radeon 5850
ATI HD Radeon 5830
ATI HD Radeon 4890
ATI HD Radeon 4870
ATI HD Radeon 4850
ATI HD Radeon 4770
ATI HD Radeon 4830
ATI HD Radeon 38x0

ATI Firestream 9270
ATI Firestream 9250
ATI Firestream 9170

If you only have an AGP graphics slot the Radeon HD3850 AGP will also do double precision, RAC approx. 25K to 30K

Useful Links

ATI Drivers http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/drivers.aspx

nVidia Drivers http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk

Optimized Apps http://www.arkayn.us/milkyway/index.html

PSU Calculater http://www.coolermaster.outervision.com/advance.jsp

Server Status http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/server_status.php

Last edited:
Associate
Got the brackets that hold the power and reset switches made and painted, mounted the switches and made up the cables.
Problem is ive got two new Titan fenrir coolers to go on the 1055t's and found out they dont fit the am3 board side to side only up and down(when in a case):mad:
So ordered two new ThermalTake Frio coolers for tomorrow going to use the titan's on some 775 boards:rolleyes:
Also the 20 drive bay server case hasnt arrived for the media server build, im at max im the current case 12TB over 8 drives and only a few hundred meg free.
At least one rig will be up and running tomorrow(fingers crossed), running down the last few Einstein WU on another and trying to upload some Seti.:(
As usual taking three times as long as i hoped but the idea is when its done not to have to touch it apart from fitting swapping GPU's so it needs to be properly sorted.

bs_msig.php

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the lovverly good news Mr Halz. You could add a 5830 to that list of ATI cards as it seems to work for me:)

Added, thanks :)

Got the brackets that hold the power and reset switches made and painted, mounted the switches and made up the cables.
At least one rig will be up and running tomorrow(fingers crossed), running down the last few Einstein WU on another and trying to upload some Seti.:(
As usual taking three times as long as i hoped but the idea is when its done not to have to touch it apart from fitting swapping GPU's so it needs to be properly sorted.

You have more done than I thought you would, bummer about the heatsinks not fitting.
And which project will all this hardware be aimed at?
1055T's .........umm, the six core is interesting but how good are they in this game?

Associate
The ATI rig is just MW with maybe seti CPU([email protected])
Two AMD 6 core's have 4 pcie slots each and im not folding so the CPU's are just feeding the GPU's and running einstein as a side project.
The server will be seti GPU and einstein CPU([email protected])
The 1055's should get to 3.5 without much prodding so ok for me:cool:

Thats what is going in the rack, the house is another story:)

bs_msig.php

Soldato
OP
OK heres a question as you have mentioned Einstein, how much is the gpu utilised on that project, is a powerful gpu wasted on it - it seems so

Associate
As you say it seems so, i was running Einstein GPU when seti went down.
Load was between 10 and 13% and it takes a full CPU:(
This is why im running it on cpu only it also helps running seti gpu only with scheduling i used to get dumped with a load of cpu tasks and no gpu just before the outage.

bs_msig.php

Soldato
OP
After a very brief outage the work flows once more :D

Outages never last very long on Milkyway, thank God, I dont think I could take anymore :rolleyes:

Soldato
Cheers for the news Mr Halz, good to see us improving..

Slow and steady is the word, slowly climbing up in total credit, though I do sometimes feel that Im the only person still crunching MW@HOme on the cpu only :eek::(

The only way to improve that before my upgrade would be to find a card with the same power draw as the 8800GT, might have to look into that, but that 8800GT is my seti reserve...

Soldato
OP
Cheers, you are going to overtake me, but I wanted to get there first before you go storming through..:D

Maybe, to tell you the truth I was going to stop at 100k for a while but I have started to enjoy doing Einstein.........sorry

Was about to put another cpu on it but the mobo that arrived had its cpu retention plate missing :( but another is on its way now.

Associate
Nice tiffy Mr Halz:)

My MW rack mount is not going well:(

Mounted motherboard got it up and running but with the accelero coolers on the 5970's they have no space betwwen them and temps are terrible:mad:
Ive now got them running in another board DFI M2RS 790fx which has 3 triple spaced pcie slots,cards in the two end slots.
Problem now is that the cards are so far apart that the crossfire bridge will not reach and without it i can only get 3 tasks running:mad::mad:
Looking round the net you cant get a bridge as long as i need(12cm between connectors):mad::mad::mad:
Now trying an install of Win 7 x64 see if that lets me run 4 tasks without crossfire(probem here is its my only copy and i wanted it for my desktop:mad::mad::mad::mad:)

Associate
Just got it up and running on Win 7 had all sorts of trouble:rolleyes:
First the drive i was using 7 didnt like:confused:
Then one card wouldnt run fan at 100%, new bios cured this one.
Then second card would disapear and only run one WU, this had me going for ages it worked in slot 2 but not always in slot 3.
Was begining to think the motherboard was duff,updated the bios nil fix then noticed the jumpers setting the 3rd slot to 2x:eek:
By this time drivers had gone mad so fresh install of them and boinc and all is now good.
4 WU's in about 82 seconds:eek:

Time for a beer:)

Soldato
OP
My MW rack mount is not going well:(

Mounted motherboard got it up and running but with the accelero coolers on the 5970's they have no space betwwen them and temps are terrible:mad:

Which board was that so I know to avoid it

4 WU's in about 82 seconds:eek:

Time for a beer:)

All worth it in the end though, fantastic result Ba, I'm curious though, on seti with nvidia you wouldnt use the sli bridge but with this the crossfire bridge gives better performance? - never had a crossfired rig although its a possibility when the 6XXX comes out.

Associate
It was an ASUS maximus formula ,not realy the boards fault the two pcie slots are triple spaced but thats just not enough with these coolers:(

For some reason on XP X64 i couldnt get all 4 gpus runing a work unit without fitting the crossfire bridge.
I could only get 3 with one idle gpu or 4 with 2 of them running on one gpu again with an idle gpu:confused:
Running on WIN 7 no bridge needed:)

Ive posted some (bad)pics of the initial rack build(in the rigs post) not finished but ive run out of time for the week:(

Back
Top Bottom