Mini Cooper S - Mini Review and Pics (lots)

Associate
Couldn't resist nipping out this morning for a quick blast and a few photies (sorry about the quality, only had the iphone with me) :cool:

Have copied my first impressions below which I posted yesterday in the original spec me thread, although having read the manual now have managed to suss the indicators and wipers a bit better :o

Anyways - hope you like the pics.

Pete

Well, picked it up and drove it back from Northampton. Not had a lot of time to play with it but some initial very first impressions..

It feels very solid actually, nice quality feel, no squeaks or rattles, interior is a nice place to be. The sat nav does raise the overall feel of it I think, that big oversized dial would be hard to live with just as a speedo possibly.

Very planted, steering is really direct, changes direction at a twitch and very flat round the corners

Ride on the run flats not as bad as I thought but then again I am comparing it to the MG, you can feel the humps and bumps but not in a bad, jarring, crashy way.

Feels a bigger car than it is I think, certainly not like a go kart, very similar in feel to my focus ST really. Power delivery - smooth and refined, can't say it blew my socks off with how fast it felt until I pressed the sport button which did sharpen everything up and reminded me of the difference the dreamscience map made to the ST.

Controls are a bit of a nightmare tbh, navigating through the menus on both the sat nav and the computer is not very intuitive. The sat nav display is a bit old school but effective enough and the TMC kept me out of trouble a couple of times on the way home. Indicators seem to be bit of a nightmare, cancelling themselves sometimes and not others. Auto wipers didn't seem to be working for some reason but the Cruise control was cool, haven't had that on a car for a while. Gonna sit down tonight and break a habit of a lifetime and read the manual, needs to be done.

On the plus side fantastic service from Dove House Cars, they have some lovely motors in there too, I know where I will start my search for a Cayman when that day arrives. They replaced the rear discs and pads and 2 new tyres at their cost after completing their presale checks. Full tank of petrol and a free Golf umbrella too ;)

On the minus I spotted a couple of parking dings that I missed when I first saw it that need sorting and unfortunately it doesn't have the bluetooth/USB option which looks like it's a very expensive dealer retrofit so am stuck with Aux in for the ipod at the moment.

So all taken in consideration I'm very happy with it so far, really looking forward to getting to know it better and just a few choice upgrades and mods to come, ;) Honest.

Pete

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0240-1.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, so here we are a week in and I'm absolutely delighted with it, very nippy, handles fantastically and a really nice place to be in. :)

So, thoughts turn to tweaking and as I said I'm not a fan of the crown spoke standard alloys so am looking to change them asap.

Unsure on which direction to take it at the moment, sportier or classier. Am really liking the Team Dynamic 1.2's in black like on Eidolon's car but I also like the JCW R112 Challenge Cross Spoke Alloys in Silver. So which is best ?

There's only one way to find out...FIGHT !! :)

30213_10150195351835327_763430326_1.jpg

30213_10150195351870327_763430326_1.jpg

1945718-1.jpg

1945718-8.jpg

What do you guys think ? I'm leaning towards the JCW's at the moment although a fair bit more expensive...

Thanks - I might give them a call, the local dealers I've tried won't even order them for me without a JCW Chassis number / works number.

Seems though that you can get them elsewhere (not reps), cheapest I've seen them on t'web is about £650 without tyres

Back
Top Bottom