Minimum spec for a file server

Associate
Can anyone advise me on the minimum spec that would be required for a samba file server?

I potentially have 2 pieces of hardware to choose from:

A p3 550 with 256mb ram and onboard gfx. I've got it all working with fedora core 4 and samba (despite being a linux noob :) It idles drawing just 38W.

The question is - will this system be up to the job though? I run a dual tuner setup in windows media centre, so i could be writing 2 x TV shows to the server, while also reading a recorded show from the same drive. Potentially in an extreme scenario my other PC could be writing to the server or my housemate could be accessing files at the same time. The last thing i want to do is compromise my TV recordings however. In the future i may also add another media centre to the mix.

If necesary i could use an old socket A 1.6ghz duron i have as the file server, but this means buying myself a new pc so i can shuffle bits down the line (what a shame ;) ... but more concerningly it draws 80+ Watts at idle. As a 24/7 machine that would cost £35-40 more a year in electricity to power!

As the electric bills are already sky high - If the p3 550 is more than enough to do the job I'd rather use that.

Another question is - will i need to use raid 0 or 5 to get the necessary drive performance for the above scenario or will a single disk on the server be able to cope with all that simultanious reading/writing?
If raid is going to be required I plan to do it in software - I'm sure the p3 won't be up to the job in that case, but will the duron be enough?

Thanks for the help

Marc

Associate
OP
I'm hoping to avoid spending any money unnecessarily tbh. The duron and p3 are old hardware i have knocking around, so ideally i want to make use of them. Surely the duron is going to be powerful enough, so it won't be necessary to get a ducl processor system? The same with raid ... A HW raid card seems unecessary when both the OS and the Epox 8rda 3+ board in the duron system support raid and a more powerful processor would be far cheaper than a raid card.

I intend to use either a 250gb and a 160gb samsung SATA drive in a non raid config, or a pair of 250s if i need to go for raid.

Incidentally - i take it gigabit ethernet is going to be essential as 10/100 is going to bottleneck even a single HD? If 10/100 is enough then i guess that answers my raid question (ie it won't be necessary as even a single HD throughput is far faster than 10/100 bandwidth)

There must be some guys on the boards who have set up their own servers and can give me an idea of how they perform?

Thanks

Marc

Back
Top Bottom