Mirrored Nvidia RAID to another type?

Soldato
Hi

I currently have 2 x SATA mirrored (using NV raid) in my main pc for important stuff that I never want to loose. If I was to move these drives into a another pc, like a cheap server with a generic SATA raid card, what would happen to the current mirror, would it be readable? Would have have to recreate it?

Soldato
RAID arrays can only be moved to another exactly identical controller, down to firmware, and even this is dodgy. (With non server-grade RAID)

Sounds like a format job I'm afraid.

-Leezer-

Soldato
OP
What about if I just used the onboard SATA ports with software mirroring? (It doesnt have to be fast, as it'll only be going as quick as the 100mbit ethernet anyway.

Soldato
Software mirroring in theory should give you movable drives, but again I'd be wary of it, as stuff like hardware changes could rat up the Windows install and then leave you in a hole. My personal way of doing things would be a hardware mirrored RAID in the new PC, along with regular backups to DVDs or an external HDD dependant on the amounts of data involved.

-Leezer-

Soldato
OP
Windows install would be on a normal drive, this is just for data. I guess I'll just give it a go and see what happens. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom