Soldato
Had my first ever minor accident yesterday at a traffic island, There were no vehicles in sight anywhere so I began to move out. I had checked to the right and was now looking forwards, Suddenly a cyclist was coming downhill from the right at breakneck speed, he shot straight onto the island and my wife saw him and shouted but too late.
He shot straight in front of me and I clipped his back wheel with my nearside and he came off. He claimed it was my fault as he saw me pull out without looking and I should give way to vehicles from the right. My car is fitted with collision warning/braking but he was that fast it didn't trigger, however I was only doing about 15mph.

I lady in a car across the road said it was clearly my fault as I had knocked him off the bike but did she notice I had already entered the roundabout before he even reached it? that he was going so fast that even though he apparently saw me pull out without looking he could not actually stop?

His bike had bent the back wheel a bit, his Lycra a bit torn, being a bit shook up I offered to pay for bike repairs which I suppose makes me admit to fault but on reflection I think he definitely entered the roundabout without due care & attention.
When we enquired as to if he got home o.k he said that he had gone to A&E to check his wrist and I wonder if this will get reported to the police and should I cover myself by reporting my version of it first or just wait to see what happens.

Soldato
OP
There was a guy on here who posted a much more minor accident with a cyclist - cyclist on pavement and barely doing any speed. Eventually the cyclist came back to put in a big compo claim with his insurance and won.

So I'd definitely log it with your insurance incase he decides to make a claim.

Edit: your story doesn't quite add up, if the cyclist was able to get to the roundabout that quick to be clipped by the front of your car would suggest that he was much closer to the roundabout than you realised.

He entered at breakneck speed after coming down an incline, that's why he could not stop when he saw me already moving. probably 3 seconds to reach the front of my car

Soldato
OP
Sounds like one lucky cyclist to escape with a few grazes and a sore wrist after being clipped off his bike at breakneck speed

I'm presuming his brakes would be on just prior to the hit, what is very strange is that on my car there is not the slightest indication of hitting him, not even marks in the dust :confused:

I've now reported it to the local police, nothing will happen unless the biker also reports it, briefly I was told that if I was already across the line and had entered the roundabout then I have priority, however both sides could be shown as not taking due care and attention.

Soldato
OP
And op said the witness said that the cyclist had right of way and he was in the wrong.

So it's an open and shut case.

All this debating is pointless unless he magics up a dashcam and at least a few witnesses on his side.

The witness is an old lady who saw him come off his bike in front of my car, I hit him so therefore I must be guilty, did she note or even see the stupid speed he was doing before he slammed on his brakes? no, did she note I was already moving on the roundabout before he even got on it? no, can I prove it? unfortunately no.

Biker claimed he saw me pull out without looking but still rode in front of me?

Soldato
OP
He was at breakneck speed which is what allowed him to be unseen by the driver and get across the front of his car despite supposedly entering the roundabout second but he was also braking enough that he had slowed sufficiently to only receive a bit of grazing and a bruised wrist when he was actually knocked off the bike.

He's possibly the UK fastest cyclist with the world's best brakes :p

I have mentioned his back wheel got a bit of damaged but that could have occurred when he fell off, I've now got doubts that I actually touched him at all, there's not the slightest mark, scratch or anything on my car, he travelled on for about 7 Mtrs before he fell off.

Back
Top Bottom