Missus is looking for an app developer

Soldato
Just throwing this out there as she has no idea about these things, as I, but she is basically looking for a company to develop a data capture app for use on iPads at events. It might though be for Android, but she is just getting the budget together for the crew to use iPads instead.

She is the UK Database CRM manager for a global Car / Engine manufacturer so this could be a very prestigious job for the right company.

Ideally they want to be in the South-East where the HQ is and I am wondering if there are any people on these forums who would be happy to contact her to offer advice and hopefully pitch?

It is a big year for the company in question so like I said, this could be a prestigious job for the right people.

If anyone knows anyone or can recommend anyone she would be most grateful.

Soldato
I always think a good way to find such people is to go to an industry event, e.g. an app developer meetup in London, or an app developer conference. I don't know of any specific ones though but I expect they're easy enough to find.

Rgds

Caporegime
Plenty of companies out there that will develop an app, at all sorts of prices. You tend to get what you pay for.

Associate
You do tend to get what you pay for with apps.

Might be worth them looking into a webapp over a mobile app. Fully depending what they require to collect you can develop a webapp to collect the same information and the development costs are cheaper overall.

When i get quotes regarding apps i always try to see if a responsive webapp can fit the bill, cheaper and faster to develop.

Soldato
You do tend to get what you pay for with apps.

Might be worth them looking into a webapp over a mobile app. Fully depending what they require to collect you can develop a webapp to collect the same information and the development costs are cheaper overall.

When i get quotes regarding apps i always try to see if a responsive webapp can fit the bill, cheaper and faster to develop.

Also more compatible.

Associate
Just sent you a trust with some details.

As others have said a webapp would most likely be more flexible for future usage, but most of the complexity will be determined by the entire pipeline of the data.

For example, internet connectivity at event locations can be spotty, or the data could require additional processing or to be stored in multiple locations and formats. You'd need to have a solid plan for dealing with those situations.

From what I understand, it looks like the company is planning to use this going forward at multiple events? Depending on what it is they're capturing it could add value for them to have tools for changing the data capture content for different events, and to see and explore the captured data through some visualisation tools.

There's a lot of different ways you could go with it.

Caporegime
Also more compatible.

That is the problem with a phone app, you need to double development costs and get both an android and a Ios app, you still end up excluding the minority users with windows or the blackberry kids, and you still don't have a product for desktop use. Plus a lot of the times an iPhone app just wont work well on an ipad for example.

Associate
That is the problem with a phone app, you need to double development costs and get both an android and a Ios app, you still end up excluding the minority users with windows or the blackberry kids, and you still don't have a product for desktop use. Plus a lot of the times an iPhone app just wont work well on an ipad for example.

That's why great things such as Cordova and PhoneGap exist. :)

Back
Top Bottom