Mixing Fans on Radiators

Associate
I know this isn't as common, but i don't see the issue in this.. albeit the speed.

I have a bunch of D30 140mms i'll be using and am planning to Push/Pull one of my GTX. Space is super tight and i have a few Artic P14 which are 27mm.

I'm looking at 2 other fan types which are 25mm, has anyone had experience with the below fans and which would be more suitable for the setup? Thermaltake seems to be the closest in terms of fan speed with the D30

BeQuiet Silent Wings 4 Pro
Thermaltake ToughFan EX14

To note, the above fans will be the ones pushing air, while the D30 will be pulling. 2mm difference doesn't look much but at least the fans won't be rubbing against the radiator adjacent to it.

And while the P14 are good, they do use PST so i can match the speed with my D30.. can those 2 do the same?

Last edited:
Soldato
The potential issues are twofold:

1/. Without matching both the fan speed and airflow spread, you risk overstressing the fans. Pushing faster means the slower pull creates back-pressure and a compression stall, so the push fan has to work harder. Reversing this, the faster pull fan cannot drag enough airflow past the slower push fan, which again overworks it. Either situation can blow the fan.

2/. Presuming you'll want to link the fans to operate together, fan control, either by voltage or PWM, is usually governed by measuring just one fan in the splitter and applying the same control output to all of them.
Different fans will run at different speeds with the same voltage, so this mismatch can result in the same uneven speeds and airflow, which again can be problematic.

You may find it works alright, but if you have any doubt then try and keep all the fans matched.

Back
Top Bottom