Mobile Sat Nav - Need Some Help

n3x

n3x

Associate
Basically im thinking about getting an XDA Mini S and would like to know if i bought say... tomtom 5 software would it have to come on a Mini SD card as that is the format the XDA uses, or is it possible to just copy the data across from another format to a bigger mini sd card if i buy one?

Also what is the best value bluetooth gps around? ive seen a few, some with more "channels" than others... does it really matter???

Any help would be appreciated :)

Associate
n3x said:
Also what is the best value bluetooth gps around? ive seen a few, some with more "channels" than others... does it really matter???

Any help would be appreciated :)

i think the ones with more channels can cope with indoors/high density urban env better. I may be mistaken though.

Permabanned
Yes you are mistaken :). Get one with SirfStar III chipset. Don't worry about those advertising 32 channels etc as the most satellites you will probably ever connect to is around 12 (on top of Everest!) and you still get excellent readings with 7 or 8.

I highly recommend the Holux GPSlim 236. Check some of the reviews on pocketgpsworld.com. It's small and light and is excellent at connecting to satellites, having good hot, warm and cold start times. You can get it for 69 Euros inc (mine came to £48 inc p&p) from Nav4ALL. Which is a great price as most place will charge you around £70 - £80 plus postage, including EvilBay

With my P910 you just have to copy the data on to whatever size duo card you have. It can work on 128Mb cards but ideally you need 256Mb+ if you are using some of the larger maps like Great Britain Plus.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom