Modular PSU?

Associate
What's the difference between a PSU that is modular and one that isn't? I've heard people say that they prefer PSUs that aren't modular but i have no idea what they mean. >_>

Permabanned
Basically modular PSU's provide better cableing for the case, so you can only chose the cables you want and remove the ones you dont want.

BUT, the modular system is much less reliable than wires straight from the PSU. The connectors can get rusty and there can be intereference.

Soldato
yea ... the tagans are an absolute work of art, they have to be seen to be eblived,.
if space is tight in your case go for a modular one ;)
plug in the ones you NEED. leave the ones you dont
Rick

Associate
OP
So you would say that Modulars are better? Both Tagan and Hiper have gold plated connectors, but the difference in price is amazing. Hiper PSUs are 580W and cost £62 but Tagan's best PSU, which also happens to be 580W, is over a hundred quid. :O There is another Tagan for 20 quid less that has 580W but it doesn't say if it has gold-plated connectors.

Either way, i guess that makes Hiper the best for modular PSUs or am i missing something?

Associate
I just looked myself, why the heck has the Tagan gone up so much, I was going to order that aswell, and now the 530w has a waiting order. :mad:
Thats a little anoying to say the least.

Commissario
I can't really see modular PSU's connectors rusting in normal use ;)
I suspect the big worry with them is more if you've got a bad connection between the wire and the PSU, but that shouldn't happen with PSU's that use screw fittings (such as Hiper) unless there is a more serious underlying problem (such as the connection being damaged).

I would be more worried about the internals of the PSU than how the wiring connects to it, as that will make a much bigger difference to the overall quality of the unit.

Soldato
i really believe that a good PSU is the most important thing in a PC. get the best you can afford, and then some

ive heard the hipers are a little on the noisy side ( from other threads etc ) ?

Back
Top Bottom