Mondeo engine management light on

Associate
I had a terrible slow drive in and out of central London yesterday, as I finely got out of the traffic and onto the motorway my engine management light came on.

The car feels fine though, accelerating normally, idling normally, exhaust gases don't look unusual.

Is it anything to worry about? And is there a way to clear it easily?

Its a 2.0 mondeo 2001.

As usual thanks for any help and advice.

Soldato
Is that a serious question? Yes it's something to worry about...

As suggested above, you could check the sensor and fuse to ensure it's genuine, but presuming it is, your next stop is the garage!

Associate
OP
I'm just confused by the warning that is accompanied by car being completely normal, the last time it came on my coil pack had failed and I didn't need a light to tell me there was a problem.

If the light goes out (would disconnecting the battery do this) and stays out, would that suggest its ok but if it comes back on its a real problem?

Associate
We had a similar problem with mine. Car drove perfectly normal so my dad and I assumed it was by mistake. Had a garage reset the computer and the light stayed off for all of about 5 mins before coming back on.

When we got it fixed the guy at the garage said the only difference would be the fuel consumption would be a little higher but you probably wouldn't notice.

Associate
Hold the trip reset button in and turn ignition to II, keep holding the button and it should switch to diag mode and the gauges will run a test, you can then cycle the computer by tapping the reset button. a lot of numbers wont make sense, it displays temperatures fuel usage etc.. your looking for a DTC code, it may flash as DTC none though.

Associate
probably not serious but worth getting it checked by a garage with the equipment, most garages will tell you the fault for free, just dont take it to Ford as they want £90 just to tell you the problem :rolleyes:

Soldato
My management came on on my old mk3 2.0 Mondeo, the arm on the AGR valve had popped off. Quick fault code read and clear, popped the arm back on, sorted. Quite a common problem apparently - the car drove perfectly well.

Back
Top Bottom