Mondeo used value

Soldato
My car is 2001 TDDI LX with 85k miles on clock and I have just checked the used value at autotrader.co.uk for my car - it is £2,020 for private! :eek: Roughly the same price as used superminis!

Thats shocking especially that I have bought it for £8,000 last May 2004 and my car is still in mint condition. I thought it can't be worse than buying from new?

Soldato
barnettgs said:
My car is 2001 TDDI LX with 85k miles on clock and I have just checked the used value at autotrader.co.uk for my car - it is £2,020 for private! :eek: Roughly the same price as used superminis!

Thats shocking especially that I have bought it for £8,000 last May 2004 and my car is still in mint condition. I thought it can't be worse than buying from new?

Thats fords common as muck rep-mobiles for you.

Man of Honour
barnettgs said:
My car is 2001 TDDI LX with 85k miles on clock and I have just checked the used value at autotrader.co.uk for my car - it is £2,020 for private! :eek: Roughly the same price as superminis!
Roughly the same price as superminis? What?

Big cars generally lose value quicker than small cars IME.

barnettgs said:
Its not all that shocking. Its a TDDi instead of a TDCi, its 5 years old, you probably overpaid for it, and its got what is probably just over average mileage on it too.

Adz

Adz

Soldato
It's 5 years old, it's a TDDI (everyone wants the TDCI) and it's an LX. It's the least desirable model of what's already a good but very undesirable car.

I still think you'll fetch more than £2k though. Try for £2500 at least.

Man of Honour
mightynimrod said:
Thats fords common as muck rep-mobiles for you.

No, its the apalling inaccuracy of mileage adjusted valuations given out by 'free' valuation services.

A 2001 TDDi LX with 85k on it is worth approximately £3500-£3700 in a private sale, using Glass's as a guide (Gives a retail value of well over £4k for this car). It doesn't help that you have pretty much the most undesireable Mk3 Mondeo ever - near base spec with the worst engine :(

Associate
No offence, but its a typical rep mobile, bottom of the range, old diesel engine, its also 5years old now. It has lost a lot of money though.

But looking at parkers, they say

Cost New ('01) £ 16070
Franchised Dealer £ 4420
Independent Dealer £ 4125
Private Good £ 3825
Private Poor £ 2890
Part Exchange £ 3290

I would expect you to get more than £2k for it

Soldato
OP
Hmm, just checked the value for TDCI, the difference isn't that much.

Basic trim/spec tend to hold value better but I guess I was looking at autotrader's used value calculation which is inaccurate. Thanks anyway

Last edited:
Soldato
Part of the appeal to buying a Mondeo is you get a lot for your money. Sadly this works against you when you come to sell them.

Parkers mileage estimates are ridiculous, my 6 year old Alfa should apparently have no more than 30k on it. I complained and they revised it to 50k, still less than 10k a year. Parkers estimate for my car was £2895with 55k on it. I advertised it on Monday for £3295. The car sold immediatley off the website for full asking price! I have had 16 phone calls since and the magazine ad only came out yesterday. I suspect I sold the car too cheaply.

Take Parker's guide with a pinch of salt.

Soldato
OP
Third Opinion said:
Part of the appeal to buying a Mondeo is you get a lot for your money. Sadly this works against you when you come to sell them.

Parkers mileage estimates are ridiculous, my 6 year old Alfa should apparently have no more than 30k on it. I complained and they revised it to 50k, still less than 10k a year. Parkers estimate for my car was £2895with 55k on it. I advertised it on Monday for £3295. The car sold immediatley off the website for full asking price! I have had 16 phone calls since and the magazine ad only came out yesterday. I suspect I sold the car too cheaply.

Take Parker's guide with a pinch of salt.
Thanks, which is why the £2020 doesn't make sense to me after all, you can get so much for that money. My friends was under the impression that my mondeo is nearly 'new' especially with spotless interior and even in 'basic' LX trim, it comes with front/rear electric windows.

Anyway, I'm keeping it. :)

Soldato
barnettgs said:
My friends was under the impression that my mondeo is nearly 'new' especially with spotless interior and even in 'basic' LX trim, it comes with front/rear electric windows.

Absolutely, new LX Mondeos even have cruise control as standard.

Unfortunately, they sell for next to nothing - but it's what makes them such good used buys.

The only Mondeo that I would buy new would be an ST TDCi, and only from somewhere like Broadspeed, which gives you a large discount on the list price.

Soldato
According to Autotrader my cars worth a dismal: Private - £645

Ouch :( :p

In reality its probably worth less in its current state of broken air-con, airbag fault light on, oil leak etc. Not that I plan on selling it though so I'm not too fussed.

Back
Top Bottom