Monitor advice - Ultrawide / Large 16:9

Associate
Hi everyone,

I’m trying to decide between a 49" 5120x1440 ultrawide monitor or a large 43" 4K (16:9) monitor.

My primary uses will be working from home—things like Excel, Teams, and general productivity tasks—as well as PC gaming (I’m aware that not all games support ultrawide resolutions).

I also plan to have my PS5 and Xbox Series X on my desk. If I go with the ultrawide monitor, I’d likely mount an additional monitor above it specifically for the consoles. On the other hand, if I choose the large 4K monitor, I would connect my PC, PS5, and Xbox Series X to it.

Thanks!

I think you should consider 34” 3440 x 1440 for work and play.

I work from home as well and for me 49” 5120 would be too wide and too big.

Consider a built in KVM switch as well, I use it often, super handy.

Last edited:
I have a 34" UW and a 32" 4K in the same room. For anything other than gaming the UW 34" is my choice as the side by side experience is better. The 32" 4k just fills my vision more for gaming and is that little bit sharper too.

Will the 49" UW just be unnecessarily wide and not that much better for productivity. Say I wanted an app open all the time regardless of what I'm concentrating on them I may tend toward a dedicated screen for it.

I've switched between the two myself in the last year, I actually think Ultrawide will end up being the obvious choice, just not quite yet.

I'd recommend the 43" 4K display instead for now as you can still snap tasks side by side and have lots of real estate.

49 or 57" Ultrawide OLED at 6-8K and I'm going back to an ultrawide without hesitation, 1 screen that can do it all is what I'm essentially after, for now I feel that isn't the case, always a compromise no matter what your choice is.

Last edited:
I'd say the ultrawide will be much better for work. Gaming on a screen above it may not be good ergonomically though, you might get neck ache. All depends what your priorities are I guess.

I would usually say ultra wide but 32:9 vs 16:9 is a very big difference.
I would suggest a 21:9 ultra wide here especially if you're new to it. A 38" (3840x1600 or 3440x1440) screen would sit well.

I use a 45" 3440x1440p screen and the resolution can be a little low for text but it's amazing for games.

Back
Top Bottom