Monitor for new Macbook 16" M1 Max

Associate
I've ordered a new MacBook 16" M1 MAX to finally replace my MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2014... It's been a hard-working little thing for many years but I think it's time to put it up for retirement.

So I also need to replace my ageing Thunderbolt display with something more of this decade.

Requirements:
• No smaller than 27" (no use in going backwards!)
• No more than £700

What would be the best one on the market that cover those requirements above?

It would be used for graphic/video Adobe CC suites.

Last edited:
Really tough choice. Going to be hard to find something that complements the mini-LED display on the Mac. I'd probably go for the LG CX48 OLED TV but that's quite niche, you need space for it and it's over budget.

Last edited:
Iiyama ProLite XB2779QQS is 27-inch@5K but has been discontinued but if you find old stock somewhere it's your best bet. Otherwise the 27-inch LG Ultrafine 5K is very nice, but about £1100 these days.

Iiyama ProLite XB2779QQS is 27-inch@5K but has been discontinued but if you find old stock somewhere it's your best bet. Otherwise the 27-inch LG Ultrafine 5K is very nice, but about £1100 these days.

This is the best choice - OP best you wait till Black Friday or Christmas to see if you can get a deal!

Really tough choice. Going to be hard to find something that complements the mini-LED display on the Mac. I'd probably go for the LG CX48 OLED TV but that's quite niche, you need space for it and it's over budget.
Agreed, that screen is going to be glorious but I need the screen real estate. :-(
Don't think I could fit a 48" on my desk... I could see what it looks like though as I've got one of those in the livingroom!

But YES! I forgot about BF!!!

Agreed, that screen is going to be glorious but I need the screen real estate. :-(
Don't think I could fit a 48" on my desk... I could see what it looks like though as I've got one of those in the livingroom!

But YES! I forgot about BF!!!

the 48" LG OLED TV has a lot of space for sure - Not sure how it being 4k is better than a 5K 27"?

Good god, I think this might be the most difficult hardware decision I've ever made. There are so many variables and options to consider!!! My budget has also crept up.

I've focussed on IPS ultra-wide displays with USB-C and tried to get the PPI as close as possible to 110 so I don't need to worry about the OS scaling things.

I've narrowed it down to the below (this display is mainly for design and video creation):

DELL
U3421WE @ 109ppi - £860

LG
34GN850 @ 110ppi - £960 (is the extra expense worth it for what I'm using it for over the others?)
38WK95C-W @110.93ppi - £938
38GN950-B @ 111ppi - £864
34WN80C-B @ 110ppi - £560

Why are the last two so much cheaper? Is it just because they're older models or just a lot more inferior? Are they still good options?

So, which one would you go for?

Would you recommend a different one over these?

Last edited:
Good god, I think this might be the most difficult hardware decision I've ever made. There are so many variables and options to consider!!! My budget has also crept up.

I've focussed on IPS ultra-wide displays with USB-C and tried to get the PPI as close as possible to 110 so I don't need to worry about the OS scaling things.

I've narrowed it down to the below (this display is mainly for design and video creation):

DELL
U3421WE @ 109ppi - £860

LG
34GN850 @ 110ppi - £960 (is the extra expense worth it for what I'm using it for over the others?)
38WK95C-W @110.93ppi - £938
38GN950-B @ 111ppi - £864
34WN80C-B @ 110ppi - £560

Why are the last two so much cheaper? Is it just because they're older models or just a lot more inferior? Are they still good options?

So, which one would you go for?

Would you recommend a different one over these?

At that budget why not a 5K2K Ultrawide one? You can find LG 34BK95U-W at £900-1000. MacOS handles scaling very well so I wouldn't worry about it. It won't be retina level detail but it will still look better at 110ppi without scaling.

At that budget why not a 5K2K Ultrawide one? You can find LG 34BK95U-W at £900-1000. MacOS handles scaling very well so I wouldn't worry about it. It won't be retina level detail but it will still look better at 110ppi without scaling.
I think it was the 163 PPI that was putting me off on that one. Am I overthinking the PPI issue?

It was this article that got me obsessed with it: https://bjango.com/articles/macexternaldisplays/

I think it was the 163 PPI that was putting me off on that one. Am I overthinking the PPI issue?

It was this article that got me obsessed with it: https://bjango.com/articles/macexternaldisplays/

This is a 5-year-old article, Apple's support of fractional DPI scaling has improved significantly as they dropped pixel-level rendering + subpixel antialiasing in 2018 and went to direct subpixel rendering. Macbooks actually default to a fractional 2.25x scaling now and have been for a couple of years. 150% scaling will be absolutely fine.

I have an LG 27UP850-W attached to my Mac Mini, well within your budget and a great screen for the price, good with a Mac too.

Thanks, Martin I've decided I want an ultra-wide monitor now though.

I am leaning to that LG 34BK95U-W HACO mentioned above... Just need an extra push I think.

Thanks, Martin I've decided I want an ultra-wide monitor now though.

I am leaning to that LG 34BK95U-W HACO mentioned above... Just need an extra push I think.

I might get one myself too (we have a few of them at work). I'll see if we find some good Black Friday deals.

So I think I'm going to go with the LG 34WK95U. I'm really sold on having an ultrawide as it will help with productivity and video editing/creation.

Does anyone have any experience with this on the new MacBook Pros? Any issues other than you can't control the volume or brightness via the keyboard? Is the text nice and sharp etc?

Does anyone have any others they want to throw in at the last minute?

Back
Top Bottom