Monitor for self build 'media' center type PC

Associate
Hi all

I am close to buying all the component parts for a new pc for the living room but am confused over the number of different monitors that are now available since I built the last one nearly 5 years ago!!!

The computer will be in the living room and principally used for games, watch DVD's and watch television. I am happy enough with all the hardware available with Overclockers except the monitor. I have read all the relevant posts but feel I have to post a new thread on the matter to clear up my greyness. I want as large a screen as possible (this will now be the main television as well as computer) and would like a screen over 28". All the screens here seem to be smaller than this and I was wondering if it was possible to use a screen in excess of 28"'s. What is the difference between a monitor only type LCD and the TV type monitors which appear to be both bigger and cheaper? I know Dell have a lovely 37" monitor (W3706MC) available with Overclockers but wondering how it would fare with the computer side of things (eg games??).

Please help because I do not want to order the monitor without your advice beforehand (for example would I need a specific video card if getting a certain monitor?)

Thanks in advance

Bob

Soldato
Why not get a projector if its going in the lounge? :D TFT monitors can support higher resolutions than LCD TV's.

<edit> You could however get something like a 20" monitor for gaming on, and buy a large LCD TV for watching movies/TV on - that way you wont need to be constantly upgrading your PC to support the latest games.

Last edited:
Soldato
the 24" dell is by no standard a small screen with its high res of 1920x1200 you need a top end graphics card to be playing games at native res,

i have a X1900XT clocked to XTX speeds and trying to play at full res with the eye candy on full is rather poor. you would need a xfire setup at least to game smooth at this res is eyecandy.

Soldato
The Dell 30" (3007WFP) would be good, you could run games that didn't run smoothly in a lower resolution with the 1:1 pixel mapping. I still think you would be better of getting a 20-24" tft monitor and having a lcd tv hooked up to the PC too.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies - the games that it would be playing are not top end (it is for my two daughers with games like Sims, Dogz, Catz and loads of other non edge cutting titles lol). Thats why I want a screen that will do justice to the DVD movies and telivesion (Sky) that will be piped through it. I would rather stay away from and dual screen solution (wife would freek as this is going in the living room) but I would like to think I could pop a DVD in and enjoy the sight and sound as well as the girls using it to game on and surf, do homework on etc.

Thanks again

Bob

Back
Top Bottom