Monitor specifically for coding. 4k?

Soldato
As we are all no doubt doing more working from home I am thinking of upgrading my work monitor I use from a 24" 1200p to a 4k screen. Probably 27" as I have seen a cheap one.

I am a DevOps and mostly working in a terminal all day long etc...

Any reason why a 4k screen isn't a good idea and I should go 1440p instead?

Soldato
OP
I have 4k on my personal desktop its very nice. If the software cant zoom you can always scale it up a bit, you will get more screen space so split screen is useful i.e. ms word on one half and drawing diagrams next to it on the other.

My work setup I currently have a 38" telly wall mounted above my laptop, with my old 28" 1080p monitor. I find its handier to move the work onto certain displays although the laptop screen is horrible for my eyes to work on. I tend to code on the 1080p screen.

So there's no issue with my buying a 4k panel to write code on? I was worried about small text size etc... but I guess you can scale the text in the applications.

Soldato
OP
Personally, I would go wider rather than higher res.
If you get a higher res, you just end up making the font size bigger so you can read the text on screen so your screen real estate is just the same size as a lower resolution monitor!

I have a DELL superwide (U3417W - 3440 x 1440) as my main monitor and two ASUS "normal" monitors (VN247 - 1920 x 1080).

Normal "dev" mode is to have Web open on a reference/tutorial site on my right-hand ASUS.
Visual Studio Code on the right hand side of my DELL and whatever I am working on (website for example) on the left of the DELL.
The left-hand ASUS is just a spare monitor I use if I really need any more room.

DELL works fine for gaming too - it hasn't got all the flashy Freesync etc but I'm not really bothered about that anyway!

I don't have that much space on my desk. I know what you mean about screen resolution and text size. But that's why I started the thread.

The other thing to mention is I use Ubuntu mostly. I take it that works perfectly fine with a 4k display?

I will have to buy a new GPU tho as my current Radeon 6450 is probably not up to the job.

Back
Top Bottom