Monitor Won't Work with GPU

Associate
I'm fairly new to computer building and to my surprise, when I attempted to run my new build, the monitor came up with a "No Signal" sign followed by a complete black screen, and my monitor's light turning from blue to orange to indicate it is not working. I thought the issue might have been the graphics card, but I also wanted to check if it was a motherboard issue so just to be sure I decided to run the PC without the card in and to my surprise, everything worked as normal. I've already tried taking the graphics card out and reseating it more than once and each time I've got the same result.

I can hear the fan of the GPU running, and I can also see the lights on the GPU flashing as well, so I really am stumped a this point.

For context sake, here are my parts:
CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
MB: Gigabyte - Z390 UD ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
PSU: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card

I thought maybe this was just a case of my graphics card not being compatible with my motherboard, but I'm not exactly sure.

Associate
OP
Ok, as you have said you're fairly new, the following might be obvious or not, but there are a couple of things I would try before anything more drastic.

• I assume you did move the monitor (HDMI/Displayport/Whatever) you are connecting to your monitor from the built in motherboard connector, to one of the display connectors on the 2080 GPU? If not, then try that.
  • If you have done that and it still won't work, try plugging the monitor cable in to the motherboard connector, go in to your BIOS, go to the peripherals tab and under 'Initial Display Output' select PCIe 1 slot (assuming you have your GPU in slot 1 - which should be the only full X16 slot, I think on that board), then save and exit. Then move over the connector to one of the GPU connectors and reboot.

Thank you for the reply, I'm not currently at home but in regards to your first solution, I've already tried both ports (while the graphics card was in) and gotten the same result. Although, as for your second solution, I have a couple of questions. Can i access my motherboard's integrated graphics while the GPU is inside of it? If not, then would it make more sense to take the GPU out, select that option, and then try running it with the GPU in again?

Associate
OP
So, I actually managed to fix the issue by just switching my GPU over to the next pci-e slot over. I'm not sure if I had a faulty pci-e slot or something of that sort, but for the time being I'm really appreciative of all the help I received.

Back
Top Bottom