Monitors with KVM

Associate
Hi All

I'm in the planning stages of a new setup which will consist of my Gaming PC and a small PC, NUC for example, for family to use, kids homework etc.

A Monitor with a KVM built in would be perfect for this. NUC into the USBC and gaming PC into Displayport + USB.

Does anyone have a monitor with the KVM built in? if so:

• if only one PC is on, will the monitor automatically connect to that and route the keyboard and mouse to that automatically without the need to press the KVM button? its unlikely that both will be on at the same time.
  • Have you successfully plugged other devices in, via a USB hub to be shared between the two PCs? I'm thinking about an audio interface specifically, but any other experiences are welcome.

Thanks

Caporegime
In the same boat, what type of panel are you after? OLED myself and a growing number of Gen3/2024 monitors do have KVM and power delivery. I've read differing experiences when it comes to how seamless the switch over is, some are fine and some are janky. However this is likely months out of date.

If it's OLED you're after, this would be a good start :)
I have a link I've saved to all existing and coming soon OLEDs;

Associate
OP
IPS for me probably, OLED is a bit to expensive for me currently. Although, ive just got an oled for the TV, will try gaming on that at some point, that might change my mind. i'd stress about burn-in on the OLED with my kids using it.. i'm stressed enough already.

27" IPS, 1440p freesync 144Hz+ KVM, flexible stand, KVM.

I too have read a few comments about the KVM being flaky, although it doesnt seem that complicated a thing to be honest, so i dunno why they arent all just fine.

Associate
  • if only one PC is on, will the monitor automatically connect to that and route the keyboard and mouse to that automatically without the need to press the KVM button? its unlikely that both will be on at the same time.
  • Have you successfully plugged other devices in, via a USB hub to be shared between the two PCs? I'm thinking about an audio interface specifically, but any other experiences are welcome.

Thanks
I use my monitor with two devices daily;

1. Yes, if only one device is on my Gigabyte M28U will automatically wake from sleep to that device. That can be from a cold or warm boot of the PC connected.
2. Sorry never tried, only K/M connected to the monitor.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I use my monitor with two devices daily;

1. Yes, if only one device is on my Gigabyte M28U will automatically wake from sleep to that device. That can be from a cold or warm boot of the PC connected.
2. Sorry never tried, only K/M connected to the monitor.
Thats good info. Thanks

Soldato
Hi All

I'm in the planning stages of a new setup which will consist of my Gaming PC and a small PC, NUC for example, for family to use, kids homework etc.

A Monitor with a KVM built in would be perfect for this. NUC into the USBC and gaming PC into Displayport + USB.

Does anyone have a monitor with the KVM built in? if so:

Thanks

if you cant find this, I have a ~£10 USB KVM that works perfectly, just press one button and my keyboard/mouse/headset/webcam switch over. Certainly not enough of an issue to restrict monitor choice for, I think!

Soldato
if you cant find this, I have a ~£10 USB KVM that works perfectly, just press one button and my keyboard/mouse/headset/webcam switch over. Certainly not enough of an issue to restrict monitor choice for, I think!

Is it a powered KVM switch? I've noticed on some of the cheaper ones i've used, the RGB will flicker on the keyboard.

Associate
I use a Gigabyte M34WQ. I have the keyboard and mouse plugged in to the monitor and share then between a minipc connected by display port and usb and a laptop connected by USB-C. I have no issues switching using the kvm switch on the monitor. You can also use the gigabyte software to switch too if you wanted to.

Associate
I have a dell monitor with KVM and the switchover of video, mouse and keyboard is fine. Usb C power delivery to laptop.

Ethernet switching though boggles the mind, why would they think that should switch when swapping devices? That's pretty useless tbh

Associate
OP
I have a dell monitor with KVM and the switchover of video, mouse and keyboard is fine. Usb C power delivery to laptop.

Ethernet switching though boggles the mind, why would they think that should switch when swapping devices? That's pretty useless tbh
Switching the ethernet between two PCs, that is very strange i agree.

Glad to hear it generally works fine. a manual KVM is of course a possibility, but want to keep it as simple as possible for young kids that would just be starting to use a PC.

Thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom