Mortgage Rate Rises

Soldato
Andrew Sentance says that BoE were too slow compared to other countries to raise rates at the start so they are paying for it now.
Compared to which countries? BoE starter before the ECB and fed, have raised higher then ECB and slipped a bit on the fed. Overall they didn't start late compared to others.

Soldato
Compared to which countries? BoE starter before the ECB and fed, have raised higher then ECB and slipped a bit on the fed. Overall they didn't start late compared to others.
His words but clearly what they did hasn’t worked as well as they hoped. More aggressive at the start like the US did would have helped greatly.

Caporegime
imports are fine it's the home grown stuff thats taking a beating ..half the green house growers have closed up shop or are waiting for the weather they can't afford to run them .and eggs a case of 360 has gone from £19 to 58 ..
meat prices are levelling out except chicken . a chicken supreme used to be £1.05 they are now £1.95-2.20

Maybe it's time people consumed less meat. That's about the one good thing to come of these rising meat prices.

Its well known that meat production is very wasteful of plant material.

I'm not saying everyone go vegan, but it's about time people stopped expecting that you can have meat with every meal.

We import everything in the UK really. Broiler sheds need to be heated all the time. And cost of chicken feed (as with all food) has gone up massively. So although it's home grown we still import energy and much animal feed.

Putting trade barriers up just makes this problem worse.

Permabanned
Maybe it's time people consumed less meat. That's about the one good thing to come of these rising meat prices.

Its well known that meat production is very wasteful of plant material.

I'm not saying everyone go vegan, but it's about time people stopped expecting that you can have meat with every meal.

We import everything in the UK really. Broiler sheds need to be heated all the time. And cost of chicken feed (as with all food) has gone up massively. So although it's home grown we still import energy and much animal feed.

Putting trade barriers up just makes this problem worse.
all i eat is meat ?? and salad .. no carbs ..???
so them eating the grass instead of you is wasteful ???
refer to answer 1
we import some things like any other country.. sheds need to be heated 1/4 of the yr ..less than some places more than others chicken feed we make here ... as we do a lot of other stuff

Associate
Part of my mortgage is up for renewal on 30.6.23 (124k worth). We've been offered 2 years fixed at 4.26 or 2 years on a tracker at 4.48.

We have also been offered 5 years at 3.91, but I think interest rates will decrease within that time so I'd rather not fix it for that long.

Until today I was going to go with the tracker, but it may take another 12 months for any reduction in rate so I'm now more tempted with the 2-year fixed.

Permabanned
Part of my mortgage is up for renewal on 30.6.23 (124k worth). We've been offered 2 years fixed at 4.26 or 2 years on a tracker at 4.48.

We have also been offered 5 years at 3.91, but I think interest rates will decrease within that time so I'd rather not fix it for that long.

Until today I was going to go with the tracker, but it may take another 12 months for any reduction in rate so I'm now more tempted with the 2-year fixed.
take the 5 ... it's only gonna keep going up .. unless they do a .5% jump ..

Soldato
1.14% here out to 2026 which is great but really wanting to move - seems we can port the mortgage which is obviously the way to go and hoping to fix the non-ported part for about 3 years so that they more or less sync up at renewal time, hopefully rates have fallen a little bit by then (definitely not back to the silly lows of before but maybe ~3% would be achievable)

Soldato
Business news saying that on those inflation figures yesterday the markets are now pricing in 3 more rises this year to get to 5%

Though for a counterpoint the analyst they had on thought the drop in energy costs would feed through "soon" (tm) and we'd maybe only see 1 or 2 rises.

Caporegime
If I were looking to remortgage in next 4-6 months I'd be locking in one of these sub 4pc rates now

I still see 5 year rates under 2 year. But no harm in locking in

Soldato
Housing market seems alive and kicking in my area (south west midlands), that is unless the reams of houses still coming onto the market at ever increasing prices are not being bought up at all...
You can see on right move by looking for STC as to whether they are actually selling

Back
Top Bottom