Most Impressive 4K Movie

Soldato
Hey all,

I’ve recently been watching a few Movies in 4K - Sometimes I feel like the difference in quality is incredible, while others I feel like I could have been watching a 1080p version.

What movies have you watched in 4K, that blew your socks off?

Marky

Caporegime
What you want is movies that have been shot or mastered to 4K. Some unscrupulous studios are taking their poor blu-ray masters and simply up scaling them to 4K and releasing them as 4K movies without any extra work. AVForums reviews are good for audio and visual quality reviews.

Soldato
What you want is movies that have been shot or mastered to 4K. Some unscrupulous studios are taking their poor blu-ray masters and simply up scaling them to 4K and releasing them as 4K movies without any extra work. AVForums reviews are good for audio and visual quality reviews.

Basically this, so much 4k content out there that was never filmed in 4k, even made this last 12 months. Just a lazy software re-encode upscale and slap a £20 price tag on it.

Soldato
Give these a try, give you a couple of new and old ones:

Blade Runner 2049
Mad Max
2001 – A Space Odyssey
Starship Troopers

Soldato
Every site I checked says real 4k?

It's a bit convoluted, lol.

As confirmed with the studio, the film’s live action imagery was shot by cinematographer Dariusz Wolski in 5K resolution using RED Dragon cameras (mixed with 4K GoPro HERO4 footage and other sources). This was downconverted to 2K, combined with 2K visual effects, and then the film was graded and finished to a 2K digital intermediate for its theatrical release.

https://thedigitalbits.com/item/martian-the-uhd

Caporegime
Anything filmed in native 4K or filmed on 35mm film generally makes for good conversions. You can check this on IMDB under technical specs.

Even though it’s decades old, 35mm film actually has a resolution around 5.6K!

Braveheart is a stunning conversion.

Man of Honour
Mortal Engines, while not being a great film looks great. It was shot in 8k and has 4k digital intermediate.

All the John Wick films look great and the first one even has a 4k DI.

You usually find that the older films shot on 35mm look the best. Especially if there aren't any CGI effects.

Recent films that I felt looked good and were also a decent watch.

Joker
Doctor Sleep
IT Chapter two

Soldato
I couldn't care less about technical specs. I watched Dunkirk in 70mm at the BFI IMAX which is supposedly equivalent to 18K and it's still one of the worst cinema experiences of my life. :p

Caporegime
I couldn't care less about technical specs. I watched Dunkirk in 70mm at the BFI IMAX which is supposedly equivalent to 18K and it's still one of the worst cinema experiences of my life. :p
Dunkirk is a strange film. It took me a little while to work out the switching timelines, (something no doubt he'll go crazy with for Tenet) but in common with many Nolan films, everything is a bit too 'clean'. It comes across as a little impersonal or lacking in feeling. Technically it's wonderful, it's just a little.. remote perhaps is the best word to use. Some of his other films seem like that too at times. It's just his style.

Soldato

The only feature film I've seen in IMAX (at the BFI iirc) was Interstellar, it was amazing and quite possibly the best cinematic experience I've ever had.

Also following this thread as I've just upgraded to a 4k TV. Our Planet looks much better!

Caporegime
Mortal Engines, while not being a great film looks great. It was shot in 8k and has 4k digital intermediate.

All the John Wick films look great and the first one even has a 4k DI.

You usually find that the older films shot on 35mm look the best. Especially if there aren't any CGI effects.

Recent films that I felt looked good and were also a decent watch.

Joker
Doctor Sleep
IT Chapter two
Joker was filmed exclusively with Arri Alexa cameras. They should be industry standard as they are absolutely sublime, particularly when combined with Hasselblad lenses.

Back
Top Bottom