most popular olympic sport

Associate
may sound simple but i would like to see the stats

time watched/ coverage given/ population caterded for per capitat/participant

sort of a

hr/((per/day)totalcoverage olympics)/((population/popularity)/cap/teamsize).

may have made a mistake there but u get the idea...

to many vodkas later may have to look at that in the morning......

Soldato
Rowing/Cycling probably.

Worldwide? Highly doubtful. Most of Africa/Asia/South America couldn't give a stuff about either of those.

I wonder how popular the football is outside of the UK. I know we don't care too much for it here, but it is still football...

Soldato
I have really enjoyed the Cycling more than any other sport.

Its been a great atmosphere and you don't have all those over-hyped ego's shouting and screeming like in the other events.

Soldato
Worldwide? Highly doubtful. Most of Africa/Asia/South America couldn't give a stuff about either of those.

I wonder how popular the football is outside of the UK. I know we don't care too much for it here, but it is still football...

I suppose maybe only in the Western world.

I personally have completely avoided all football stuff, completely pointless and I'm still exhausted after the Euros.

I know the folks in the US having been watching a lot of soccer because they're excited they're doing so well (not withstanding that the key international teams don't care about the Olympic tournament).

Soldato
Twitter reported that new records were broken for conversations per minute inregards to Bolt last night.

Apparently 20 million tuned in to see his 100M final, the highest viewing figures after that are all athletics events until it gets to Becky Adlington and then the tennis final. That was from a few days ago.

I think worldwide it will depend on the hopes of the athletes from each country and their preference for sport.

Associate
OP
im tempted to add in, world wide it may be gymnastics due to the asian and east european interest be nice to see if there are official stats produced worldwide

from like a combined ONS or someone.

Soldato
Basketball for the US fans? Gymnastics is a good call too

Depends which nationality you ask , what their best event is ( and even time zone compared to GMT, and whether its live or highlights only)

Soldato
I kind of ignored the formula and just said what the most popular sport was in my household.

First time I've seen handball but it was brilliant!

I'd agree with those above, I suspect the athletics (Track and field) would be the most popular.

Man of Honour
Oh fair enough.

Handball was definitely my favourite of all the sports I watched, women's handball seems to be a lot more entertaining imo. I think I'll try and follow a league or two.

Associate
This is how the telegraph said it was for the UK

1. Opening ceremony, 26.9 million

2. Usain Bolt winning the 100m final, 20 million

3. Mo Farah winning the 10,000m final, 17.1 million

4. Jessica Ennis winning the heptathlon, 16.3 million

5. Tom Daley taking bronze in the diving, 15.9 million

6. Greg Rutherford winning the long jump, 15.6 million

7. Usain Bolt winning the 200m final, 15.4 million

8. Mo Farah winning the 5,000m final, 12.9 million

9. Sally Pearson, an Australian athlete, winning the 100m hurdling gold, 12.1 million

10. Women’s 10,000m final, won by Tirunesh Dibaba of Ethiopia, 11.8 million

Soldato
Is it just me or do I feel a little disappointed that our top athletes got such poor (ie 50-60%) viewing figures compared to a (imo flash but bizarre) ceremony

Soldato
The Closing Ceremony is at No. 2 just behind the Opening Ceremony in terms of viewers, so that list isn't quite current now.

Is it just me or do I feel a little disappointed that our top athletes got such poor (ie 50-60%) viewing figures compared to a (imo flash but bizarre) ceremony

They hardly got poor viewing figures! :p

However the figures reflect the fact that people will tune into something like the Opening Ceremony because its a huge national event and even if you aren't into sport it will be an impressive show.

Back
Top Bottom