MOT exemption from 30th March

Associate
What will happen on a daily basis, to all cars whose MOT is due to expire in 7 days - is that cars will have their expiry date extended by 6 months.
So, your expiry date will remain the same until a week before it is due and will then be extended by 6 months from the current expiry date.
This will mean the scheme can be ceased at any time and that the expiry dates will still be staggered.

Associate
Well that is really annoying, mine is due 1 june. I was expecting to get a extension but chances are that i probs will not by the time june comes around when they change their mind. Which is annoying as i like to book my car in early to get a weekend slot at HONDA.

My local Honda is currently closed anyway so not like i can even currently get booked in.

Soldato
What will happen on a daily basis, to all cars whose MOT is due to expire in 7 days - is that cars will have their expiry date extended by 6 months.
So, your expiry date will remain the same until a week before it is due and will then be extended by 6 months from the current expiry date.
This will mean the scheme can be ceased at any time and that the expiry dates will still be staggered.

Did you read that somewhere?

I've not checked the gov site since they first announced the extension with a huge lack of details.

Soldato
My partners car is due by the 9th, so should see in a few days what happens to it.

It does makes more sense to auto extend the cars on the day/few days prior. As that way when things get back to normal, not every car will have been extended.

Soldato
Can I sorn one of my cars but leave it insured for theft ? Not much point in taxing end of the month as it is not going to used. It’s on my private driveway so sure that’s ok.

Caporegime
My garage called me up and left a message saying my car has been flagged needing an MOT soon......

It's not due till the 13th May, has this been extended to OCT? - I can't do anything any at the moment as Isolating

This vehicle's MOT expires soon
MOT valid until
13 May 2020

Last edited:
Associate
what does it say on the tax/mot checker on the dvla?
At the moment the extension normally updates between 2 and 7 days before your actual expiry so my advice would be to keep checking.

Alex

Caporegime
what does it say on the tax/mot checker on the dvla?
At the moment the extension normally updates between 2 and 7 days before your actual expiry so my advice would be to keep checking.

Alex

MOT IS DUE TO EXPIRE..

However just as you said, it's still nowhere near the 7 days yet it's still about 13 :D

Soldato
I have a question.

my MOT is due on 8th June.

The garage that usually MOT’s it is still open. I’m thinking to book it in to be done week commencing 11th May, as you can do it a month before.

i’m pretty sure it’ll pass. I changed brake discs and pads last weekend. Only thing is the Heat shield came lose so i cable tied it to the other.

6 months extension would take it upto December. Can i have it MOT’d in say September / October. I don’t fancy having it looked at just before xmas incase there is something wrong. But would be handy to a free extension for a few months.

Don
Gov site says will be extended on the day, but it may be a few days in advance
Yep, I had my road tax through for the 1st May (MOT runs out end April) and tried to pay for it, but refused due to the MOT certificate expiring. The website says about 3 days before the 6 month extension is applied, went back in on the 30th April and it went through fine.

Associate
I have a question.

my MOT is due on 8th June.

The garage that usually MOT’s it is still open. I’m thinking to book it in to be done week commencing 11th May, as you can do it a month before.

i’m pretty sure it’ll pass. I changed brake discs and pads last weekend. Only thing is the Heat shield came lose so i cable tied it to the other.

6 months extension would take it upto December. Can i have it MOT’d in say September / October. I don’t fancy having it looked at just before xmas incase there is something wrong. But would be handy to a free extension for a few months.

Your extension would be until midnight 7th december going by current extension rules.

Like any mot you can do it anytime you want before the expiry date, just if you do it more than 28 days before the expiry date you loose x amount of months.

Alex

Soldato
Your extension would be until midnight 7th december going by current extension rules.

Like any mot you can do it anytime you want before the expiry date, just if you do it more than 28 days before the expiry date you loose x amount of months.

Alex
Thanks.

I'll see if i get the extension, if not i'll have to beg the garage to fit it in :D

Man of Honour
Best strategy is to leave it so you get it extended to December and then do the MOT mid-November so you don't waste any of the 'free extension' time you've gained. This is of course assuming you don't feel the MOT needs doing sooner for roadworthiness reasoning (which i guess may be a possibility if you have cable ties holding bits together).

Back
Top Bottom