Motherboard alarm sounds, computer keeps going off

Soldato
I didn't know what forum to put this in, but yesterday my computer decided to be annoying and turn itself off repeatedly. The alarm on the motherboard will sound (as if its overheating) and the PC will turn off. It got to the stage where it wouldn't even boot up, and by pressing the power button it'd simply turn the alarm on.

I checked the temp's and they seemed fine. I thought it might be a RAM problem so i tried all the different combinations and it still happens. Now i'm realy stuck about what to do because I don't know much about hardware these days.

MY system is as follows:

ABIT NF7-S mobo
AMD XP 2400
GF FX 5900
2x256 PC2700 DDR RAM
120gb WD hdd
creative sb audigy 2 soundcard

if anyone has any ideas i'd appreciate it! and if you need anymore info just let me know

Soldato
OP
anyone got any ideas? just tried cleaning out the heatsink and applying fresh thermal compound just incase it was overheating. It stayed on for a bit but then the alarm came on and it turned off again :(

dont know what to do now, cant format really because off all my work

Permabanned
What's the CPU fan like?

I'm wondering if it's dodgy and slowing down. And the motherboard detects either: a) The CPU fan has slowed down; b) The CPU has reached a specified temperature.

On either of those conditions, some motherboards can be set to shutdown.

Soldato
OP
when it first boots up its around 10 for system temp, and 25-40 for cpu. I really cant see it being that, ive been to an i series in the summer when the cpu's ran at 80*c . And like i said ive just took the fan apart got rid of all the dust and put new thermal compound on the cpu

Soldato
OP
set them to pretty much max. Managed to get it on and install motherboard monitor, 55*c CPU and 31 for system. cleared CMOS and plugged it into a different plug socket and "touch wood" its on atm. Doing a virus check, ad aware scan and playing music and it hasn't gone off *yet*. I seriously think its some sort of power problem, we had our electric system in the house changed the other week, and now on my surge protector instead of "protected" being lit up green, "earthed" is lit up red. altho when i tried it in a different room the other day, it went off, so its difficult to understand atm

Back
Top Bottom