Motherboard/CPU/Ram Bundle

Associate
Hi guys wondering if anyone can help me i am stuck on what to get i want to upgrade my motherboard/cpu & RAM but i am unsure what to get. Ill list my specs below if anyone could suggest anything....or anything else to upgrade would be appreciated.

Case - Coolermaster CM Enforcer
Monitor - Acer Predator Z35
Monitor - Acer Predator XB240H
CPU - Intel Quad Core i7-4770K (3.5GHZ)
Motherboard - Asustek Z87M-Plus
RAM - 16GB Kingston Hyper-X Genesis
HDD - Toshiba 2TB (SATA)
HDD - Seagate 1TB (SATA)
HDD - Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
HDD - Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
GPU - Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 TI FTW3
Keyboard - Razer BlackWidow V2 Chroma
Mouse - Razer Lancehead Chroma
Headset - Razer Man 'O' War Chroma
Mousemat - Razer Goliathus Extended
Webcam - Logitech C922
Fan Controller - Aerocool Touch 2000 LCD
Cooling - Corsair H75 Water Cooler
Power Supply - Corsair HX1000i
Network Card - TP-Link WDN 4800 Dual Band
Internet - Virgin Media Fibre Optic 200mb/s

Last edited:
So i am gaming at 2560x1080....its not really struggling as such but i am thinking long term as my current motherboard cant take DDR4 so its not really possible to upgrade any further....if that makes sense?

So really you dont need to upgrade but you want to, you have a couple of choices Intel ( the latest is coffelake cpu ) or AMD Ryzen it would be best to read some reviews on the cpu's and there performance. Value orianted AMD is better Intel still rock at gaming but AMD are not far behind.

Below is the processor line up from both

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-c...intel/socket-1151-coffee-lake?sPage=1&sSort=3

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/processors/amd/amd-socket-am4?sPage=1&sSort=3

I had previously looked at the below, do you think it would just be a waste considering my current specs?

MB-15R-AK Asrock Z370 Taichi Intel Z370 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard £203.99
CP-64B-IN Intel Core i7-8700K 4.9Ghz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Pre-Binned Processor - OEM £488.99
MY-08Q-TG Team Group Dark Pro "8Pack Edition" 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black/ £199.99

I wouldn't even consider it at current prices as the price gouging on Intel cpu's is just disgraceful. Hopefully by January-February supply will have caught up and the prices will be back to where they should be. Another thing to consider then is that Z370 was dead the moment it launched as there is another chipset coming next year (Z390) along with 8 core cpu's. I think you would actually be disappointed with the small performance gain you will get for that near enough £900.

So i am gaming at 2560x1080....its not really struggling as such but i am thinking long term as my current motherboard cant take DDR4 so its not really possible to upgrade any further....if that makes sense?

Honestly as much as you might have the urge you really should hold off, 4c/8c is still ideal for games, and your 1080 ti should smash through things for many years to come. Resale values are still incredibly strong for even gen 3 i7's so I'd hold off for another year, and aim for next black friday to think about upgrading as then 8th gen intel should be vastly more affordable and hopefully DDR4 prices will also have started to come down :).

I think you are in no man's land at the moment with that PC! Basically, it's fine, but you want to upgrade something!

I would upgrade the monitoring and cooling system. Go buy a Corsair Commander Pro. It will take control of all your fans and I think it's even compatible with your PSU so you can even control that. It's expensive but honestly it's worth it if really want to take control of your system. Also what about fans? The basic fan with the H75 is horrible. If you like Corsair then get some ML pro fans or even better Noiseblockers.

After that I would wait a year or two.

But then I am never "wise" with my upgrades so it's patronising to advise you to be so! lol. Yep, I would consider a new mobo/cpu and ram.

Back
Top Bottom