Motherboard, CPU recommendations

Associate
I currently have a Intel Core i9 10980XE Cascade Lake-X with a ASUS Pro WS X299 SAGE II (LGA 2066 R4) Motherboard and GeForce RTX 3080 GPUs.

What would be the cheapest upgrade of the MB and CPU that would be better than what I have with PCIe 5.0 slots? I would need a Max of 4 PCIe slots as opposed too the 7 I currently have.
No gaming. Just used for CGI rendering and Video editing.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If you want to run 4 GPU for CGI and rendering you would need a Threadripper system if you are going with an AMD system. For the CPU, l would get an AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 7960X which would be a nice increase in CPU performance over your current CPU. You must go for a DDR5 solution if you want PCIe5 slots. This processor supports 48 PCIe5 lanes from the CPU and 40 PCIe4 lanes. You will have a bigger problem finding a motherboard that will support 4 GPU with sufficient spacing between them, depending on what cards you are planning to go for.

Ya I've rethought the components and want to go for just 3 GPUs. Hopefully, this makes a difference as I only want to go the Intel route.

Back
Top Bottom