Motorbike on trickle charger - flat

Soldato
Hi, wonder if someone can answer the folllowing.

I have a Motorbike which I have not used since my daughter was born some 3+ years ago.

Been kept in the garage under cover for the duration. On a trickle charger.

Moved it the other day when tidying the garage. Tried to start it and battery went flat after a few goes.

Even though, it has always been on trickle charge.

Does this happen? I thought it would keep the battery topped up and in perfect condition?

Thought about jumping it from the car with jump leads. But did not know if that could damage it?

I can buy a new battery when all this lockdown is over.

Thank you

Soldato
OP
No worries. When this is all over I’ll get a new battery. I guess 3.5 years on trickle charge is pointless. May as well disconnect the battery if I get a new one anyhow.

charger is a Oxford 360T

thanks for your replies.
Stay safe.

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys.

obviously cannot get a replacement battery for the time being.

But I can get fuel in a Jerry can.

could I jump the bike from a car battery to get it started at least ?

Soldato
OP
Good point. Yes. Will look on line. Don’t want to spend a fortune as it will just be to start it. Then I will leave it disconnected? As what’s the point in it being connected when I’m not riding it.

this redex? Just put some in the tank and run it through? Is there just one type of redex for petrol that I need ?

Soldato
OP
Good point about the oil. Will give me something to do whilst on lockdown.

I can easily start it monthly. That’s no problem.

Thanks for the advice. Only reason I don’t or haven’t rode for last 3.5 years is I had a daughter and it doesn’t matter how good I am. It’s the others that don’t see you.

it’s a Yamaha FZR600 2003

Soldato
OP
Just has a look on wimoto website. Battery and an oil filter £49 delivered.

Then just redex and some fuel. Which I probably can get redex at most petrol stations anyhow?

oil. Again. From petrol stations etc.
Unless you guys know any particular websites. That will furnish me with everything I need apart from fuel.

thanks

Soldato
OP
Yeah. Your right guys. I would love nothing more than to go for a ride. Miss it immensely. Live on the doorstep of the Peak District. So beautiful to go out there and ‘get lost’ on the bike.

But my priority is my daughter. All you bikers out there know only too well. We are invisible out there and I’m not taking a chance whilst she is still young.

Definitely sometime down the line I will be back on the bike.

Don’t want to sell it as I like her. She’s pretty and I have good memories with her

But will get her started this week and also just ordered some bits as well as some Fuel Stabaliser

Soldato
OP
Okay.
Pulled it out of the garage the other day.
Took all the covers off of it and put it into the sunshine.

jumped it with a spare car battery I have. Started in third push.
Let it run for about ten minutes and added some fuel stabalizer to the tank.

looked at the battery. The - negative had some corrosion on the battery terminal so removed and discarded the battery.

Now back in the garage for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom