Motorsport Off Topic Thread

It made me laugh watching teds notebook the other day when he mentioned that Newey isn’t allowed in any of the Red Bull meetings anymore but can still obviously go where he wants. So he’s stood there not only sketching parts of other cars on the grid that he finds interesting but he’s also sketching similar finds on the Red Bull. :D To be honest, if him going to Aston brings another team to the top, so be it. That can only be a good thing for the sport.

Is it too early to put some money on Lance Stroll for F1 world champion?… :o They are switching to Honda for 2026 too right?

It made me laugh watching teds notebook the other day when he mentioned that Newey isn’t allowed in any of the Red Bull meetings anymore but can still obviously go where he wants. So he’s stood there not only sketching parts of other cars on the grid that he finds interesting but he’s also sketching similar finds on the Red Bull. :D To be honest, if him going to Aston brings another team to the top, so be it. That can only be a good thing for the sport.

Is it too early to put some money on Lance Stroll for F1 world champion?… :o They are switching to Honda for 2026 too right?
He's obviously not allowed into any technical meetings or discussions as part of the end of contract deal because it might contain informationabout next year's car or the 2026 changes. But yes Newey going to AM will certainly put the noses out of joint of those who 'thought' a Ferrari contract was a done deal. To my mind Ferrari would not be enough of a challenge for him, but we'll see.
All good stuff..

He's obviously not allowed into any technical meetings or discussions as part of the end of contract deal because it might contain informationabout next year's car or the 2026 changes. But yes Newey going to AM will certainly put the noses out of joint of those who 'thought' a Ferrari contract was a done deal. To my mind Ferrari would not be enough of a challenge for him, but we'll see.
All good stuff..
I'm not going to lie, I'd like to see him go to Ferrari and give Lewis that one more championship winning car before he retires. But, going to Aston can only be a good thing competition wise. Another team competing towards the front can only be a good thing.

I wouldn't put it passed Daddy Stroll to intentionally gimp Alonso's car. They've done it to Stroll's previous teammates in the lower formulas.
You’d literally have to remove 3 wheels and paint over Alonso’s visor to put him on par with Stroll.

Seriously though, the car would need to be like 2sec ahead of the competition for Stroll to have a chance. Maybe starting from pole every race will mean he won’t hit anyone.

Last edited:
Needs to be the first of a few going for next season, the grids been ridiculously static over the last few years.

Did a quick check and currently there is only 5 drivers who have done less than 100 grand prix! (Zhou, Tsunoda, Albon, Sargent and Piastri) I know there is about a million GP now but even so it's 4-4 1/2 years worth.

Kmag has lived on rare moments of brilliance for a long time, but his baseline is poor. I'm not sad to see his seat free up, but I do worry about who will take his place. Word seems to be Ocon, who seems a terrible fit for Haas and a worse mentor for Bearman.

I'd like to see Bottas or Zhou.

Zandvoort that is pretty alright in the grand scheme, is not ok. Yet Monaco, which is the definition of "failed abortion" is ok?

It's one thing to *maintain* a (very historic) track on the race calendar, but entirely another to *introduce* an unsuitable track for the formula onto the race calendar. (I strongly believe that we all know this to be true and also strongly believe that we also all know that the only reason it is on the race calendar is to *cash in* on the phenomenon and spectacle of Mad Max - who I strongly suspect that we all also know that he is not as brilliant a driver as he is cracked up to be.) It is quite clear that maintaining Monaco is simply a cash grab, although I'm pretty sanguine that it still retains a calendar slot.

I like this quote from Sainz

Carlos Sainz: "I obviously understand Ferrari’s decision, the opportunity to sign a seven-time world champion... That's why, when I reflected on it, it didn’t hurt me that much. Because in the end it’s not any other driver replacing you, but the best driver in history"

A good way to look at it if you were him I suppose!

Back
Top Bottom