MOTs are changing from January 2012 - some of these will catch a lot of people out

Soldato
A did a search and this appears not to have been posted:

http://mottesters.co.uk/files/special notices/MOT Inspection Manual.pdf

The most notable changes are:

More warning lights are a failure.
This will include the airbags, ESP, and seatbelt...

The back doors now have to open
Someone was asking about doors recently.

Decat = FAIL, regardless of actual emissions or fuel type
Doh! Rule 7.1, reason for failure number 3.

There's A LOT of other changes.

I can see a lot of cars that are currently running around with the airbag light on getting scrapped.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
either that or remove the fuse/bulb

Removing fuse usually will not turn the light off, the lights are canceled by the respective ECUs, not lit.

Remove the bulb, you might get away with it, but strictly speaking the light must come on during the lamp check and then go off to pass. You'll probably get away with it as even the manual doesn't clearly show what lights are supposed to be there.

Soldato
OP
Oh **** *** :mad:

My 306 is De-Catted :(

EDIT - But it's a diesel, which only has a smoke test? ;)

Go read rule 7.1 if the car was fitted one, it must be physically present in the MOT. As other's have suggested; you just keep a cat in your garage for special occasions.

Hmm. How's that gonna work? They gonna have a massive database that says whether there was a catalyst when it left the factory?
They have one that says how the ABS light is supposed to work pinned to the wall in the form of an A1 poster. So probably.

[TW]Fox;20618242 said:
Agreed. Lets hope your average MOT tester can read the manual better than BigglesPIP can :eek:
Ha! Was a tester here in Hampshire that told me the HID and warning light parts. I don't think he'd been on the refresher course yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Rule 7.1 on Method of Inspection, "On vehicles that qualify for a full cat emissions test, check the presence of the catalytic converter"

My 306 has a Particle Filter, Not a Cat. Infact it now has nothing.. as I cut it out and replaced it with a straight pipe.

I have no Garage special :p

So does it pass or fail? Apparantly Diesels don't have Full Cat Emissions Tests.

for a start, if you never had a cat you don't have a decat.

A catalytic converter missing where one was fitted as standard

If you did have a cat:
The reason for rejection is very clear, the method of inspection if carried out to the letter will miss the decat. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom