Mouldy wall

Associate
Hi all,

Upstairs bathroom wall (and adjacent bedroom wall) are getting increasingly mouldy.

Qv4sXUr.jpg

The outside of that wall looks like this:

rkNZ6ub.jpg

RKvmCkP.jpg

I'm not 100% sure what the cause is (roof or guttering) Who do I call to repair this?

Thanks!

Associate
Ok, lets start by saying that most of the time a dry house is a happy house. In my experience 95% of the problems in house are due to it being damp or wet. Can you get access to that part of the roof? that needs looking at as its clear there is no felt under your tiles. It does look like this might have been going on for some time. You need to check under the roof to see if the water has started to rot the sark boards and batterns that are holding the rest of the roof up. If this is the case they might need cutting out and replacing.

To address what is going on inside the house you need to fix the roof first. That Mould isnt going to go away either. I would suggest given the state of it that the plaster is removed back to brick and once its all dried our and the roof leak is fixed you can plaster board it and get it skimmed over and it should be all good again.

Associate
You need a roofer.

Trouble with water is it can travel before showing itself. That being said, going by the pictures it looks like it is getting between the tiles at some point and running down to not only both the outer wall but also the inner wall.

Can you see if any of the tiles in the run of roof above have any splits /cracks in them. Just cause a tile is there doesn't mean it's preventing water ingress off it's cracked.

Can you get into the loft to see the wood work underneath. It may give an better indication as to where the water is beginning to get in .

As for the plaster. Totally agree with the above comment about taking it off and letting it all dry before re doing. Wet plaster never seems to go back to the way it was.

Associate
As per the comments above it looks like some felt damage that could be patched with felt of a more modern and tougher membrane material. This issue is probably allowing water that gets under the tiles to enter the roof space above the wall as well as down the outside. A roofer is the way to go.

Plastic roof felt trays are also a good addition as they support edge of the felt/membrane and I get these fitted if not already present when getting this type of repair done:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/felt-support-tray-1-5m-5-pack/36622

Back
Top Bottom