mount Oculus sensors which way up?

Associate
I've read that mounting the sensors upside down gives them a better view but I don't understand why this is any better than having them the normal way up and just pivoting the head to the same angled position.

I have mine fixed towards the top corner of the room like this:

IMG_20170808_123509.jpg

any thoughts?

Soldato
The reason people say to mount them upside-down on the ceiling is because the sensors tilt further in the up direction, so when they're upside-down you can point them lower toward the ground instead of wasting your sensor coverage on the ceiling.
If you have a flexible mounting option then you can mount them up or down. If it's pointing the same way then you'll get the same coverage.

Soldato
The cameras give something in the region of 100 degree horizontal x 70 degree vertical coverage, so if you need more vertical coverage you can mount them rotated by 90 degrees.
You can mount them on their side? eg: Jutting out from a high book shelf lying down on their side?

Permabanned
You can mount them on their side? eg: Jutting out from a high book shelf lying down on their side?

Try it, when I set mine up for 360 with 2 sensors I had to skip the setting up part as it kept saying too far apart, or stand in the middle, or stand further away. Skipped it and they worked fine anyway.

Soldato
Yeah. My front 2 sensors are sideways, with my 3rd rear sensor the normal way up. It doesn't care what orientation you have them in.
That might be handy then...

I have a very small study, and one sensor might fit quite well about 5ft up poking out from a shelf on the wall to the back right. The other one I'll put on the desk to the left. I'd hope this would give good coverage.

When setting up, is it easy to see with the configuration program what the cameras are picking up where? eg: If you move about you can see a camera is/isn't picking you up well?

Back
Top Bottom