Mountain Biking

Caporegime
Beggers... Do you happen to have a Shimano Brake Bleeding Kit?

I do, just bought one. Throw us a message on FB.

Bleeding already?

That's rough, I'm quite lucky in the sense that I'm at a computer all day and can still type with it, but not being able to do a hands-on job is pretty rubbish.

Good work on the static bike though!

To be honest, apart from the first week I haven't had much pain. I was taking half-doses of the stuff they gave me at the hospital and just topped it up with regular paracetamol. I stopped taking anything when my temporary cast came off and haven't needed any painkillers for the last three weeks.

I've had a few twinges if I've twisted it slightly or tried to do too much with it, but the constant base-level of pain that I had for the first few days went away quite quickly.

One more week until it comes off - can't wait!

Yeah only taking anything for bed!

Nice, very jealous. It's getting very boring already ;p

BaJ

BaJ

Associate
Had a day at Llandegla today, cold, sunny and awesome.

Off there myself tomorrow, haven't been for a few years as something always stops me riding there.

Occasion 1 - closed due to winds
Occasion 2 - smashed mech on 1st corner after the climb
Occasion 3 - friends forget to book hire bikes

Soldato
What fork would people recommend to pair with a Cove Stiffee frame? I've just picked up a 17.5" to build up for general trail riding/messing about duties.

I'm thinking along the lines of Rockshox Pike, perhaps the old 2015 model which can be picked up for a reasonable price?

Associate
Been a while!

Last time I rode was probably 6 month ago :o

Took my Nukeproof Mega out the shed to have a look and it was in a sorry state. I put it away wet and dirty (insert pun) and it showed. The chain which was 1 or 2 rides old was rusted in place, the bike had mould growing everywhere, rear brake completely shot but other than that was ok. The Pikes felt buttery smooth, the Monarch plus felt nice too but the Reverb may need a bleed. I'm pretty sure I serviced the rear shock and Pikes with new oils, greases and seals before the last ride. I'd not long replaced the headset, wheel and all frame bearings too, and packed all the bearings with Mobil 222 grease when doing so and was glad that all pivots felt sweet.

I took off the wheels and took out the disc pads, gave it a thorough clean, then sprayed the beast down with GT85. The front brake seemed to work fine, all 4 pistons were coming out ok, the rear however was firing on 2 pistons. I managed to free off the other 2 pistons eventually but the brake feels like crud. Maybe a bleed will do, but to be honest I've bled these damn Trail 9 brakes at least 10 times in 3 years and am fed up with them.

When it dry's up I'm going to see how unfit I am at Cannock Chase. I used to do the whole thing in around 1 hour 40 mins but I'd be happy to do within 3 hours now. Then hopefully a few trips to Forest of Dean and Bike Park Wales of course.

This year is going to be the year of the trail for me, try and get some hours in at Sherwood, Cannock, FoD and maybe Dalby.

Associate
I decided to build a single speed XC bike this year, using used everything...
Managed to pick up a reasonable condition Genesis Io ID frame.
Now starts the hunt for bargain components :)

Frame arrived, bolted all the spares I had laying around on, had to order a 27.2mm seat post and suitable clamp, as I don't seem to have one in the massive box of said items.
All I actually need is a semi decent set of forks to replace the carp Suntours I put on to get it rolling...Result :)

Soldato
As @Begbie would have seen on Facebook, I am toying with the idea of buying a steel hardtail. I had a Bird Zero and loved it. Sold it and bought a mark 1 Aeris RS, and now I'm missing the hardtail. Stumbled across a brand new manufacturer called "Trillion" this morning who is due to release a steel hardtail very soon which looks like my perfect bike. £1500 just for the frame though :(

There's far too much choice on the market. Not good for someone as indecisive as me.

https://dirtmountainbike.com/bike-r...e-brand-new-160mm-british-steel-hardtail.html

http://singletrackworld.com/2017/02/london-bike-show-2017-trillion-prime/

7eFIUYy.jpg

Soldato
Considering is such a strong word :) I think it's probably a bit too expensive for me. That one in the pic is over £4k, but admittedly you don't need a Fox 36 fork or SRAM Eagle 1x12 drivetrain.

I'm a bit nervous about buying into a brand new company too, even though their parent company is huge. However I did the same with Bird and it's worked out quite well so far.

Soldato
Privee Shan.

Cotic BFE.

Chromag

I couldn't justify that on a hardtail frame!

?

It's definitely nuts. The Cotic Soul 275 is £549/£599 for the frame depending if you want a boosted rear (hah) or not, and the BFe is even cheaper at £349/£399 (this seems really cheap to me).

The Chromag Stylus 27.5 looks like a really good option, but it seems like they're not distributed in the UK anymore. Hotlines UK doesn't list them on their site, despite them being listed as the UK distributor on http://www.chromagbikes.com.

The Shan looks great. Will do some more research on that one, thanks :)

EDIT: Another candidate is the Radley Bluepig.

Back
Top Bottom