Mountain Biking

Caporegime
Alright lads,

Stay safe when hitting the trails. Had a big scare this last weekend, a friend hit the Leap of Faith at Gisburn - a good 10ft gap jump, panicked at the drop in, hit the brakes (nono, pedal through it), still attempted the gap and fell a good 4 ft short of the goal.

He went OTB, head and shoulder first into the ramp on the other side, he landed on the ramp but the bike did not. 2 hours later incl. 3 Bowland Mountain Rescue teams and 1 helicopter, he was flown to Blackburn and later moved to Preston Trauma unit. Unsure of his injuries at the time we had to keep him dead still. We were fortunate to be beside fire road and be in an area of Gisburn Forest that has signal, as well as with first-aid trained bystanders who's kids were hitting the gap. I don't know how it would have turned out had there been nobody near & no signal. Extremely fortunate.

Initial injuries suspected by the hospital were severe, C1 and C2 vertebrae breaks, shoulder dislocation & fracture, as well as a broken back. A few days later with neck supports, it was downgraded to a fracture in the C2, C1 is fine. Shoulder and back remain the same. He's seriously lucky. He's sat up with neck support finally and is getting his final X-rays today and hopefully discharged, at home and on his feet albeit with a long recovery.

He's keeping the bike, and can't wait to be on the trails again, just likely that he'll stay clear of Gisburn. "It gives me the ***** to think about it". He is laughing and joking though, "think there was more faith than leap" - indeed there was lol.

Thank **** he's gonna be alright. Stay safe, make sure you aren't riding alone, and BAIL if you aren't sure on anything. Panic took over, he should have bailed, but did not. It happens, accidents happens, but just stay safe at all times boys (and girls).

Hope he recovers well, and it just shows you in these situations how bloody good our emergency teams are.

I had the misfortune of finding a friend on the trails late last year as I turned a corner. Broken ribs, punctured lung - but it's enough to give you a shock. Emergency services were damn quick and he was riding pretty quickly again.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Got the Magura MT5s today but forgot to order the pad retaining screws so those are on their way too. In the meantime I will install the brakes on the stock pads but have Nuke Proof organics ready and waiting once the screw pins arrive.

I heard a number of people say how tedious Magura brakes are to bleed but I cam across this video which shows a super simple method to get the bite back and any air out the system using the Magura syringe :cool:

Pic related:

Magura_MT5_RaceFaceSPost_NukeProof_SamHill.jpg

Also got a new seat post and saddle. No more butthurt :D - It's a NukeProof Sam Hill Enduro. The gel feels super comfy.

Soldato
Got the Magura MT5s today but forgot to order the pad retaining screws so those are on their way too. In the meantime I will install the brakes on the stock pads but have Nuke Proof organics ready and waiting once the screw pins arrive.

I heard a number of people say how tedious Magura brakes are to bleed but I cam across this video which shows a super simple method to get the bite back and any air out the system using the Magura syringe :cool:

Pic related:

Magura_MT5_RaceFaceSPost_NukeProof_SamHill.jpg

Also got a new seat post and saddle. No more butthurt :D - It's a NukeProof Sam Hill Enduro. The gel feels super comfy.
Am I right in thinking you bought a road saddle before, did you not like that in the end?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yeah bought the Prime road saddle which I thought would be comfortable given it's a road saddle but ended up being too harsh for me.

This is shorter but wider and of course much softer :D

Associate
Earlier in the year I was weighing up the Nukeproof Enduro vs Ergon Enduro saddles - went with the latter due to stock availability and seems nicer than my any of my previous flat top options (WTB, Fabric, Charge etc.)

Soldato
Yeah my preferred saddle is an Ergon SM, really comfy. I've had a Fabric Scoop, Charge Spoon and SDG before but the Ergon is better, I like that they do different sizes as well depending on your sitbones.

Soldato

I heard a number of people say how tedious Magura brakes are to bleed.

Which pads do the MT5's come with? If it's the Performance pads I'd just use them as they are pretty good. If its the Comfort pads then I would swap them out.

As for bleeding, other than not having a bleed nipple on the caliper, I've found bleeding magura brakes very easy. I like how you just press the syringe into the master cylinder. Also once bled they seem to last for ages :)

Soldato
What are they like compared to Hope brakes? I hate bleeding Hopes with those horrible covers and seals, love the performance and feel though.

Soldato
Not had Hope brakes since the Mono M4's. I remember Hope's being easy to bleed but I wouldn't get them again unless they start using mineral oil. Much nicer to work with and not worries if spills on your bike. When I have Saint brakes I snapped the master cylinder in half, mineral oil was everywhere, all own forks and into seals. I doubt dot fluid would have played nicely with my forks seals.

My only negative with Magura brakes is aligning the calipers is a pain due the pads running very close to the disk. a lot of people complain saying you can't get them to run drag free but I bought one of those caliper aligning tools and they are drag free now :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Which pads do the MT5's come with? If it's the Performance pads I'd just use them as they are pretty good. If its the Comfort pads then I would swap them out.

As for bleeding, other than not having a bleed nipple on the caliper, I've found bleeding magura brakes very easy. I like how you just press the syringe into the master cylinder. Also once bled they seem to last for ages :)

They come with the 9.P Performance pads but the Mt5 ones are one piece backing with 2 contact patches on the backing plate instead of 4 individual pads under each piston like as standard on the MT7. Both types of pads can be swapped between MT5 and MT7 though. I believe the individual pad under each piston offers better braking feel. I will leave the stock pads in for now though and completely make heavy use of them, then swap over the Nukeproof pads s I know what they're like from having had them on the Tektro. Once the rotors arrive too I will shelve them I think with the Nukeproof pads so once the stock pads and Tektro rotors are on their way, swap them out one afternoon :cool:

Soldato
I was under that impression before I got my brakes. I've got MT7s and Trail Sport (basically an MT5 front brake and 2 piston rear) brakes. Both have the performance pads but the Trail brakes have 2 piece pads. Can't tell a difference between the 2 and 4 piece pads tbh. I will be replacing the 2 piece pads with 4 piece when new pads are needed but I definately wouldn't worry about it until then.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Aye I will definitely be keeping the Nukeproof pads and Magura rotors to one side for the time being whilst the stock MT5 pads bed in on the Tektro rotors. So far I'm liking them. More modulation even pre-bedding in than the bedded in Tektros were on Nukeproof pads, and those brakes stopped me in the same distance it took my mate to stop on his MT7 as we did some brake tests side by side last week. He does weigh 3 stone more than me though for full transparency!

I might fly off my bike next time on these :D

Caporegime
Aye I will definitely be keeping the Nukeproof pads and Magura rotors to one side for the time being whilst the stock MT5 pads bed in on the Tektro rotors. So far I'm liking them. More modulation even pre-bedding in than the bedded in Tektros were on Nukeproof pads, and those brakes stopped me in the same distance it took my mate to stop on his MT7 as we did some brake tests side by side last week. He does weigh 3 stone more than me though for full transparency!

I might fly off my bike next time on these :D

You could stop half the distance to anyone with the right breaking technique and/or tyres to be fair. I've just went through another set of pads :/ All this riding is fun, but it's expensive. £400ish on servicing/broken parts recently. Then bike park costs on top of that, fuel and food!

Shoes seem to be lacking grip too, has anyone tried Ride Concepts yet? Getting bored of buying a new set of Five Tens every 12 months.

Also for anyone new to the sport/or not Ben Cathros series of 'how to' on youtube/pinkbike is aboustly amazing. The best I've seen anything explained on videos ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGsNvd9EhvQ&t=51s

Soldato
You could stop half the distance to anyone with the right breaking technique and/or tyres to be fair. I've just went through another set of pads :/ All this riding is fun, but it's expensive. £400ish on servicing/broken parts recently. Then bike park costs on top of that, fuel and food!

Shoes seem to be lacking grip too, has anyone tried Ride Concepts yet? Getting bored of buying a new set of Five Tens every 12 months.

Also for anyone new to the sport/or not Ben Cathros series of 'how to' on youtube/pinkbike is aboustly amazing. The best I've seen anything explained on videos ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGsNvd9EhvQ&t=51s

Specialized 2fo are meant to be good shoes. Think ill be trying them next.

Caporegime
The Adidas terrex mid goretex ones have been available for £105 with codes. Pretty cheap considering. I have the terrex flats but they are really no good for wetter months cos they are basically mesh.

Trying to move away from five ten/adidas is the only issue given the build quality of my last few. Might be the same across the board in fairness, but be nice to try something different. These seemed to have lasted a year!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom