Mountain Biking

Soldato
I rebled both brakes today as the front brake had a bit more lever travel than the back and I was certain there was some air in both. I binned the Magura Pro bleed kit as tbh it felt cheap and didn't inspire confidence and last minute ordered an EZ kit off Amazon that arrived this eve. The kit has everything for every brake brand and 2 syringes too. All adapters have a gasket and the Shimano style reservoir for the master is much better than the hanging bottle with hose that Magura thinks is "Pro" lol.

Managed to get quite a bit of air bubbling up top and used the method shown by Park Tool in their MT5 bleeding video. Bite is now around at 50% travel rather than the 75% before.

Could you take some pictures of the actual bleed kit you've received? It almost looks too good to be true considering it's very low price. Does the reservoir just push into the Magura master cylinder like a syringe would? I've been using Epic Bleed Solutions kits but this looks much better and cheaper

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Ah it's all packed away in boxes now until I need it next lol, but the kit actually looks exactly like the photo of the whole lot on the Amazon link above. The reservoir screws into the master cylinder so is sealed and secured. I like the reservoir method because once bled and no more bubbles are in the system, can undo the caliper bleed end to put back in the bolt and if a few drops come out the system is refilled by gravity from the reservoir anyway then you just plunger the reservoir and unscrew that to close off with the main lever screw.

Soldato
Ah it's all packed away in boxes now until I need it next lol, but the kit actually looks exactly like the photo of the whole lot on the Amazon link above. The reservoir screws into the master cylinder so is sealed and secured. I like the reservoir method because once bled and no more bubbles are in the system, can undo the caliper bleed end to put back in the bolt and if a few drops come out the system is refilled by gravity from the reservoir anyway then you just plunger the reservoir and unscrew that to close off with the main lever screw.

Thats cool about pictures, I've checked out a few videos on YouTube since sending the message this morning, looks pretty good tbh, especially for the price. Think I'll order one tonight if only for the decent looking syringes. The reservoir would be handy I guess but not really needed with new Magura brakes as you can just push an empty syringe into the master cylinder which is the same as the reservoir

fez

fez

Caporegime
Does anyone else only ever gouge their shins on their flat pedals when they are not actually riding their damn bike. Its when I'm wheeling it around every.single.time.

Man of Honour
Wow, that's very... PINK. :eek::cool::D

Great frame though, in the correct colour too!

Tis a bit gaudy to me but bet it rides amazing!

Nice bike, not the colour scheme for me but nice none the less :p Would look much nicer imo without tan walls

You lot all need to be braver in your colour schemes! It is a bit loud but I do love to make a statement.

I have spent the whole weekend out on it and it is brilliant, not had a FS for a while so it all felt a bit weird first off but once it got moving it was awesome, all in all very happy with the build.

Even dragged the kids out today for a ride, we made a quick stop to admire our clashing colour schemes in the sunshine :D

l4GGWFX.jpg

Caporegime
Thats cool about pictures, I've checked out a few videos on YouTube since sending the message this morning, looks pretty good tbh, especially for the price. Think I'll order one tonight if only for the decent looking syringes. The reservoir would be handy I guess but not really needed with new Magura brakes as you can just push an empty syringe into the master cylinder which is the same as the reservoir

Epic bleed solutions do kits too, normally include oil for a similar price. Been quite good for me in the past.

Trying to find a michlen wild enduro is impossible at the moment! Might need to cough up for a magic Mary.

Soldato
Epic bleed solutions do kits too, normally include oil for a similar price. Been quite good for me in the past.

Trying to find a michlen wild enduro is impossible at the moment! Might need to cough up for a magic Mary.

Yeah I've got an Epic Bleed Solutions kit currently buy the syringes are pretty rubbish tbh. Just your standard medical syringe that digs into your fingers

Associate
sooo with the bleeding fun, do you think that magura brakes are worth it? Are you tied to their Royal Blood, or can any mineral oil work?

I've got Guide RSC on both my hardtail and FS, but at times I think the only reason I keep going back to them is that I've got the DOT bleeding kit/oil.

Soldato
sooo with the bleeding fun, do you think that magura brakes are worth it? Are you tied to their Royal Blood, or can any mineral oil work?

I've got Guide RSC on both my hardtail and FS, but at times I think the only reason I keep going back to them is that I've got the DOT bleeding kit/oil.

Well I like Magura brakes. I've only used Royal Blood in my brakes but tbh I don't see any reason why you couldn't use another brands mineral oil if you wanted/had to. I've read online about people using Shimano mineral oil without issue though Magura say to only use Royal Blood just like Shimano say to only use their mineral oil with their brakes.

Associate
Back to have my hand x-rayed again this afternoon, hoping it means I'm all clear and can get out this weekend. Mates just getting into MTB so hoping I can take him out on some blue runs locally.

fez

fez

Caporegime
People run shigura brakes so shimano levers and magura calipers. Not sure about the hoses. One of the 2 parts is going to be on the "wrong oil" so I'm sure its fine to mix and match. Probably best not to blend them though.

Associate
Surely there isn't anything between mineral oils with such a simple setup of lever, brake line, caliper? Could you imagine if brembo/wilwood/etc in the motor vehicle trade held you to using their own dot fluid? Crazy!

Associate
I was under the impression that all mineral oils are the same, but that might just be me being ignorant if there are different viscosities.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Surely there isn't anything between mineral oils with such a simple setup of lever, brake line, caliper? Could you imagine if brembo/wilwood/etc in the motor vehicle trade held you to using their own dot fluid? Crazy!

What do you mean? Mineral oil is very much a blanket term for a certain type of oil whereas DOT is a far more controlled product. As far as I know, if you buy DOT4 oil from any manufacturer it should be functionally identical. Mineral oil on the other hand can vary massively.

People have reported that some issues with their shimano brakes have been completely solved by changing to a slightly different blend of mineral oil with a lower viscosity etc. DOT is DOT if you get the same number.

Soldato
What do you mean? Mineral oil is very much a blanket term for a certain type of oil whereas DOT is a far more controlled product. As far as I know, if you buy DOT4 oil from any manufacturer it should be functionally identical. Mineral oil on the other hand can vary massively.

People have reported that some issues with their shimano brakes have been completely solved by changing to a slightly different blend of mineral oil with a lower viscosity etc. DOT is DOT if you get the same number.
Dot 4 is definitely not the same as another dot 4.
You have some at specific viscosities now. My current car requires a specific variant that not just plain DOT fluid.

Back
Top Bottom