Mountain Biking

Soldato
Trying out a forward GPS mount that sits on the steerer, looks much better than having spacers and a GPS mount sitting on top of the steerer tube to clear the stem
66490341396-A02180-A4-A8-D5-414-A-84-B0-C8-D360-E0-A2-CB.jpg

And new pedals, first time away from flats in my lifetime, feels odd but good. Certainly need a lot more practice at unclipping quickly though!
66464981764-7-C70-E21-F-9-AE0-4-F0-D-BB52-C6-D5-E38-B2-EAD.jpg

Very swish pedals!!

Was meant to be at DyFi this weekend for my birthday. It was cancelled for the wind, RIP. Missed it in Nov due to Covid and this time for wind, I will get to ride there, some time lol. We hit MBR at Coed-Y-Brenin instead, what a trail!!!

Any how - STINIOG MEET. May 7th guys? that's what me and my mate have got in our schedule, should be good weather, and gives everyone time to make the space etc? Who's in?

Soldato
Been watching some of you guys' videos.
I wish I had your confidence.

I look at my videos and I'm so so slow! I've only been on a few trails but rarely catch air. Only had an mtb a year and a bit. And it's not really designed for the stuff I do. Probably would help if I wasn't in my own so much!

I've only been riding since June/July, still very much a beginner but coming on well. Just gotta have confidence to get off the brakes and keep going out. If you want to get some practice in for jumps, I wholeheartedly recommend Leeds Urban Bike Park. You can spend all day jumping, I'm by no means a jumping master, but spent 2 days there on the jump lines and it's improved my tabletop game massively.

Also having someone to follow in to get the speed right etc, @Hedge done this for me at Farmer Johns on one of the decently sized jump lines and it really gave me the confidence to let off the brakes and give it some. (cheers mate!)

edit/ see you're in Wales (lucky man). Get yourself to Degla and loop the jump line there :)

Soldato
Very swish pedals!!

Was meant to be at DyFi this weekend for my birthday. It was cancelled for the wind, RIP. Missed it in Nov due to Covid and this time for wind, I will get to ride there, some time lol. We hit MBR at Coed-Y-Brenin instead, what a trail!!!

Any how - STINIOG MEET. May 7th guys? that's what me and my mate have got in our schedule, should be good weather, and gives everyone time to make the space etc? Who's in?

I should be good for May 7th

Soldato
Recently moved down south (Dorset) due to work. I've been struggling to find a decent place to ride. I mean windhill/tidworth/okeford aint far off, but until today I had been struggling to find a "local". Well today I found Puddletown forest! What a blast! Its not the most gnarly trails and there aint a huge amount elevation but its compact and rammed with trails and some of them are an absolute blast, even hitting them all completely blind today I was blown away with how much fun I had. Its been a while since I had such simple enjoyment.

Soldato
Been a while since i've posted. Did a great couple of rides in the Lakes over the last couple of months. Whinlatter and Borrowdale Bash on one weekend, then just recently Rigg Beck and a loop out near Threlkeld/Blencathra. Borrowdale Bash and Rigg Beck are excellent days out, would highly recommend them, Borrowdale being my favourite, Rigg Beck got a bit hairy at times (but the high winds didn't help on the first climb up Causey Pike!).

What did happen when doing the first weekend was i borrowed a mates Orbea Rise, totally changed my opinion on ebikes! Had the after effects of Covid since August 2020 which cut a lot of rides out due to big climbs, but that meant i just flew up the climbs and meant i could enjoy the downhills without blowing out of my *** all the time. So bit the bullet and managed to source a 2nd hand Rise M20 which was only 4 months old and 120 miles on it for just under £4k. Slowly upgrading it (it comes with a Rekon on the back which was the first thing to go! Bars, pedals, tubeless setup, Garmin 530, moving the Hope V4's onto it off my Rallon. Next will be fork and shock, the fork is a Fox 34 performance which felt a bit wobbly doing some of the big stuff on Rigg Beck) but back enjoying big days out again! The Rallon is just gathering dust in the corner now, need to decide what to do with it as it's got a decent spec and seems a shame to waste it.

Soldato
My Voodoo Bizango has done fantastically over the last 3 years but now time for an upgrade, isn't surviving bike park days anymore. Pretty sure will be a Bird AM9 but wondering if there is anything else out there for under £3500 that would be worth demoing? I have completely ruled out Whyte as everyone i know that has bought one recently has had no end of issues with them.

Soldato
My Voodoo Bizango has done fantastically over the last 3 years but now time for an upgrade, isn't surviving bike park days anymore. Pretty sure will be a Bird AM9 but wondering if there is anything else out there for under £3500 that would be worth demoing? I have completely ruled out Whyte as everyone i know that has bought one recently has had no end of issues with them.
Unless you go 2nd hand ( of which there's plenty of bikes around at 3.5k) then it's more of an availability question surely?

Caporegime

Privateer?

A friend just picked up a nice marin for 2k. Worth keeping an eye on the sales too.

To be fair it's been hard to knock my AM9 for the price.

Caporegime
I'd have been trying to get a spec status 160 but stock disappeared.

If I was spending 3500 I'd consider a Vitus Sommet, privateer 161, propain tyee, commencal meta sx.

The Propain sadly isn't as much as a bargain as they once were, now having to pay an extra 14% import duty on them (+ £200 shipping fee). Looking at budget spec, still not bad, and maybe just scraping £3.5?

Bit **** really, I always really fancied one.

Soldato
The Propain sadly isn't as much as a bargain as they once were, now having to pay an extra 14% import duty on them (+ £200 shipping fee). Looking at budget spec, still not bad, and maybe just scraping £3.5?

Bit **** really, I always really fancied one.

Ah yeah brexit definitely stiffed us.

Shopping around on parts can make a decent build possible. Crc have had some great deals lately. Lyrik ultimates for £499 a few week back. Super deluxe ultimate shock for £200 ish. Nukeproof horizon v2 wheelset about £350. The commencal meta am29 frame for £1399 at crc too. Could become a big bruiser build.

Soldato
Unless you go 2nd hand ( of which there's plenty of bikes around at 3.5k) then it's more of an availability question surely?

Yea thats a very good point! Can get an AM9 with zeeb ultimate and super deluxe shock in a few weeks so suspect that will be the winner!

Privateer?

A friend just picked up a nice marin for 2k. Worth keeping an eye on the sales too.

To be fair it's been hard to knock my AM9 for the price.

Privateer not available until august and don't fancy another 6 months on the hardtail. Shame as they are great value.

I'd have been trying to get a spec status 160 but stock disappeared.

If I was spending 3500 I'd consider a Vitus Sommet, privateer 161, propain tyee, commencal meta sx.

Cheers will take a look at those ones too.

Girlfriend just order a Aether 7 last night so will see how the order process is for her before deciding.

Soldato
Also consider cotic or full moxie. Then if looking mainstream go nukeproof or trek slash is great too.

Oh and I have a real desire to own a banshee titan. It's been on my mind for months now.

Guess it comes down to want of trail riding or enduro style. An all rounder would be something like an ibis ripmo af.

Last edited:
Associate
Considering converting my Vitus into a bit of a commuter bike, as it never gets used these days now that I'm on the full squish. Besides tyres and mudguards there isn't much else to do? Quite limited on what size chain rings the 1x can fit.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Considering converting my Vitus into a bit of a commuter bike, as it never gets used these days now that I'm on the full squish. Besides tyres and mudguards there isn't much else to do? Quite limited on what size chain rings the 1x can fit.

Before it hits the chainstays? Think my full squish can only take a 32 and I had to put in a little spacer for that on the cranks.

Got out down the local trails (unfortunately Bedgebury which can barely be described as trails) but the weather was nice and a bit of road cycling seems to have boosted my fitness.

Looking forward to the weather getting better in general so I can go a bit further afield and get back to learning how to jump properly.

Back
Top Bottom