Mountaineering - A novice goal to 8k

Associate
I'm 35, and I'm the most unfit and overweight I've ever been. I'm a bawhair under 6 foot, and I must weigh about 16 or 17 stone now. I'd blame my fiancée for making me too comfortable, but even I know that's a pitiful excuse. I love lifting weights, but I've totally fallen out of the habit since I started my new job. I could run out a string of excuses why, but I won't. What I will do, is proclaim a desire I've held since I was a child; to stand atop the world.

I've had an absolute belter of a year. I've graduated as a mature student, got a new job, got engaged, and now unfortunately have a child on the way. I'm never happy unless moving forward.

My soon-to-be father-in-law, is an avid Munro bagger, such that there are few left for him to climb. He walks up a hill most weekends. Unfortunately, I'm nowhere near the fitness levels to hit 914m these days. I will have to condition myself, and hopefully accompany him over the coming few years.

I guess I'm hoping that there's someone here with the knowledge to inform me what the focus should be? Am I correct in suggesting I build my fitness, climb munros? There's clearly a gap to the likes of Alpine mountains; the use of crampons etc. Where do I learn those skills?

Is it even possible for someone of my age? Assuming it takes 15 years...I'll be 50. Is it a realistic goal for 50 year old to climb an eight-thousander?

It's a helluva lofty goal, I know. But I'm at a stage in my life where I need to push myself every day.

Back
Top Bottom