Mounting a monitor stand to a window sill

Associate
Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out a way to attach a monitor mount to a large wooden window sill.

Here is the location I'd like to fit it to:
6dsBpjH.jpeg

I want to be able to lower the monitor down from the mount so that the bottom of the monitor actually sits below the window ledge itself, like this:

REuufO7.png

The problem is there is nowhere to attach a clamp to, and as I don't have access to the underside (because it sits on a wall), I cannot use a grommet type fixing either.

Initially I tried finding a mount that I can directly screw in from the top - but these seemingly don't exist.

Then I thought about using a bracket, similar to the below, but with a flat top, to screw into the windowsill (wood) and then clamp the mount onto it. But I'm even struggling to find a suitable bracket.

1jqn5F3.jpeg

I've thought about using a freestanding mount but none seem suitable.

Has anyone here had a similar issue, or any ideas how to do this?

Thanks everyone :)

The first question is probably why? Mainly because there might be a better solution than a mount?

Otherwise what about one like this but rotated so the mount is screwed vertically into the window cill, and then it hags down over the rad. Not sure how djutable / much support it will give. May need to do the bolts up so tight to support it you cant move it.

The first question is probably why? Mainly because there might be a better solution than a mount?

I'm planning on putting a desk there, but I'd also like to fit a projector screen on this wall, covering over the window.

If I have the monitor on the desk then when the screen comes down it'll block the view, so I'd like an easy way to fold it away into the recess of the bay window.

There might well be a better solution, but my tiny brain can't think of anything right now :cry:

Underside of a hinged desk lid?

Thanks, can't say I'm completely sold on that idea and that desk on Etsy is £2k :eek:

I think could just about get away with a monitor on a normal stand if it can be lowered so that the bottom of it is almost touching the wood surface itself. If not I think there are some freestanding mounts that can do this, might be a lot less effort, and look cleaner.

The problem is there is nowhere to attach a clamp to, and as I don't have access to the underside (because it sits on a wall), I cannot use a grommet type fixing either.
You could adapt a bolt-through style mount i.e. (where you would normally drill a hole through the desk and insert the threaded rod through the desk and into the mount and then fit a spreader plate and nut to the bottom of the desk).

You could instead drill a hole through your windowsill into the presumably brickwork, then using resin or similar fix the threaded rod in place, and then just screw the arm down onto the fixed bar?

e.g. look at the desk bolt instructions in here as reference:

Thanks, can't say I'm completely sold on that idea and that desk on Etsy is £2k :eek:

I think could just about get away with a monitor on a normal stand if it can be lowered so that the bottom of it is almost touching the wood surface itself. If not I think there are some freestanding mounts that can do this, might be a lot less effort, and look cleaner.

Hence not linking the Etsy item, as it was just the idea. Easy to build yourself. Some have a pop up bit like those beds that have a tv hidden in the bottom.

You could adapt a bolt-through style mount i.e. (where you would normally drill a hole through the desk and insert the threaded rod through the desk and into the mount and then fit a spreader plate and nut to the bottom of the desk).

You could instead drill a hole through your windowsill into the presumably brickwork, then using resin or similar fix the threaded rod in place, and then just screw the arm down onto the fixed bar?

e.g. look at the desk bolt instructions in here as reference:
Thanks, this could potentially work. I've seen a few stands where I could epoxy the rod into. It would just make it very difficult to remove should I ever decide to do so, and I'd have to be pretty careful to ensure I line it up correctly.

Hence not linking the Etsy item, as it was just the idea. Easy to build yourself. Some have a pop up bit like those beds that have a tv hidden in the bottom.
Thanks, I appreciate the suggestion, I just don't think it's an option that I could live with. And in theory I could try and build it myself, but in reality I'm sure I'd spend a fortune and end up with a bodge :cry:

Why not put the mount underneath the sill? You can temporarily dismount the radiator.
Thanks for the suggestion, the lip of the sill isn't very big, I don't think it would be enough to support a mount.

The idea is to have the ability to fold everything inside the recess so a projector screen can come down and rest just in front the sill.

Thanks for the suggestion, the lip of the sill isn't very big, I don't think it would be enough to support a mount.

The idea is to have the ability to fold everything inside the recess so a projector screen can come down and rest just in front the sill.

I meant on the wall under the sill, between the sill and the radiator.

If you can't find a pole mount that fits, you could just make a mount from 18mm plywood that you can clamp to.

Cut spacers from anything (ply, MDF, 2x2 etc) that sit under the ply making it high enough to fit a clamp to . https://www.gostand.co.uk/collectio...-gas-sprung-monitor-arm-9kg-capacity-smma1050 these guys seem to have a solution that makes the underside much smaller

You then screw this wooden platform/mount to the window sill

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom