Mounting an external cctv camera - best way?

Soldato
Hi,

I'm looking to neatly mount a small wireless camera that looks over the driveway but I'm having trouble with the positioning for its power supply. In the picture below I'd like to mount it where the purple square is but that soffit doesn't seem to have easy access in the roof.

Where the blue area is looks like there's access from the roof so I could feed it through with a coat hanger or something. What are the thoughts on this? Ideally I wanted to have the wire going through the mount straight into the roof so no wires were visible but it looks like where I wanted to mount it doesn't allow that..

If i run the wire up into the blue area will I need something to stop moisture getting in once I have drilled a hole? Maybe a grommet or something as it will be about 8-10mm to get the micro USB vable through.

Any thoughts?

20190922-162934.jpg

20190922-162224.jpg

20190922-162304.jpg

Soldato
If a rubber grommet doesn’t work for you then check out Sugru mouldable glue. It’s easy to push into the hole once the cable is through and can be flattened for neatness.

Soldato
OP
Hi - thanks for the suggestions, i didn't think of the glue type stuff, will look into that. The grommet seems the easiest way though if I want to remove it for any reason, but i'm having trouble finding a white grommet so will probably have to spray it or something.

I've got a PoE setup but I never installed it as the cameras looked a bit too bulky and not really something I wanted around the house. I bought a bunch of the WYZE wireless cameras which stores in the cloud and has a few intellingent features (person recognition etc) and i've been impressed with it so far.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom