Mouse for disabled user

Associate
Hi all,

I have a condition, which I won't bore you with the details but essentially it means I cannot fully open my hand or extend my fingers. Consequently most normal mice are very difficult to use because I constantly involuntarily click the buttons.

I have tried various ergonomic mice including the 3M joystick mouse, the Posturite Penguin mouse and the Rockstick 2 mouse. All of these have their merits, but they all have their problems.

I have recently began using the Contour Design Contour Mouse, and using this has made me realise that what I need is a fairly conventional mouse, but with very short buttons, similar to the Contour mouse but with shorter buttons. The way I use the Contour mouse is by resting the tips of my fingers on the body of the mouse just behind the buttons, and then roll the tips of my fingers forward slightly in order to push down the back part of each button. However, the mouse isn't really designed to be used like this and it means my fingers are too far back to properly grip the mouse, putting more strain on my hand.

So does anyone know of a mouse which has very short buttons and a proper middle button (i.e. not a scroll wheel)? Alternatively is it possible to get some kind of guard for a mouse, similar to the types you get for keyboards? Lots of mice these days seem to have the mouse buttons smoothed into the body of the mouse, which is totally useless for me. Perhaps there is a mouse with extra strong resistance to the click action?

Thanks

Mouse buttons tend to use OMRON micro switches - they'll all be the same stiffness.

Have you considered using something like Sugru putty to build up the case/buttons to better fit your hand?

I hadn't even consider that. Potentially a good idea. Can anyone recommend a cheap mouse without a scroll wheel to use as a base? Preferably one with the buttons split from the case not smoothed into it.

Working with people in the workplace who have disabilities is my daytime job.
Motor impairment is the most prevalent disability in the workplace and I have seen many hardware and software solutions to combat this.

Have you considered not using the mouse buttons at all and using foot pedals? These do take some getting used to but once you get the hang of it it will feel like second nature. XKeys do a range of hardware to cater for this.

Also, if this is to help with day-to-day PC usage, you could look at a software solution to help with the clicking tasks. Something like the NIB clickless software will allow you to hover the mouse over a clickable element and then perform the click action for you. You set the time delay between the hover and click so it does not randomly click. You can download a free 30 day trial from http://www.aerobicmouse.com/software-overview/nib/

Hope this helps.

Not being funny, but it sounds like your hand naturally takes on a Claw shape...
You may know this already, but there are typically two styles of mouse user - Those who 'Palm' the mouse and those who 'Claw' it. There are also 'Hybrid' grips somwhere between those two and some manufacturers also list 'Fingertip' as a fourth style.

I Claw my mice somewhat, gripping in a pinch style with thumb and third finger, but my biggest problem is the weight of my fingers is sometimes enough to actuate the button switches.
As a result, I favour a Logitech G700S, but at work I have a Roccat Kova, both of which have a bit more resistance to the buttons than, say, a Razer mouse.

Working with people in the workplace who have disabilities is my daytime job.
Motor impairment is the most prevalent disability in the workplace and I have seen many hardware and software solutions to combat this.

Have you considered not using the mouse buttons at all and using foot pedals? These do take some getting used to but once you get the hang of it it will feel like second nature. XKeys do a range of hardware to cater for this.

Also, if this is to help with day-to-day PC usage, you could look at a software solution to help with the clicking tasks. Something like the NIB clickless software will allow you to hover the mouse over a clickable element and then perform the click action for you. You set the time delay between the hover and click so it does not randomly click. You can download a free 30 day trial from http://www.aerobicmouse.com/software-overview/nib/

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your response.

I have got a pair of foot pedals, but I do not find them quick enough or intuitive enough. I have seen the software you mention before, and whilst this would probably take away some strain for things like web browsing, for what I spend most of my time doing it would be very fiddly. I work in architecture, so I spend my time 2D drafting (Microstation PowerDraft), 3D modelling (Microstation and Rhino) and using Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign.

Not being funny, but it sounds like your hand naturally takes on a Claw shape...
You may know this already, but there are typically two styles of mouse user - Those who 'Palm' the mouse and those who 'Claw' it. There are also 'Hybrid' grips somwhere between those two and some manufacturers also list 'Fingertip' as a fourth style.

I Claw my mice somewhat, gripping in a pinch style with thumb and third finger, but my biggest problem is the weight of my fingers is sometimes enough to actuate the button switches.
As a result, I favour a Logitech G700S, but at work I have a Roccat Kova, both of which have a bit more resistance to the buttons than, say, a Razer mouse.

Thank you for your response.

Yeah you are right effectively, although before I developed these symptoms I was a palm-gripper. So a claw-grip mouse in theory would make sense, except for these two points. Firstly, because I use CAD, scrolling is crucial and my fingers are not dexterous enough to use a standard scroll wheel activated by the fingers (the Contour mouse I use has a thumb scroll wheel which is very useful), although this can be replicated by remapping keyboard keys to scroll up and down (as I do when using my 3M Joystick mouse which does not feature a scroll wheel). Secondly, because I would need the buttons to actually be split from the body of the mouse (i.e. like this, not this), so that I can rest my fingers behind the buttons. The problem is even the mice that have this split, the split is too far back, i.e. the buttons are too long, so it means gripping the mouse quite far back and therefore not having a very robust grip and straining my hand, which tends to cause my hand to have cramps. I guess ideally (I'm pretty sure it does not exist) I need an extra long three button mouse with really short buttons and a scroll wheel on the left hand side for my thumb. The nearest thing to that I've found is the Contour Mouse, which I use a lot, but as already described in the OP it isn't ideal.

Thank you both.

I think I've found it, it's called the Whale Mouse, but it is discontinued and this is the only picture I can find of it...

321b8e18fa80e35b3f936d5e5bd34f71da054f9a.jpg

Upon further research it seems the Whale Mouse was made by Humanscale. They seem to have a successor to it called the Humanscale Switch Mouse. I've ordered it so we shall see, but I think it may not be any good because this latest model seems to have a massive gap/hole behind the buttons, and therefore no finger support. Oh and it's only got two proper buttons, not three.

adjustable_ergonomic_right_and_left_handed_switch_mouse_large.jpg

I realise you've ordered a mouse - but you've yet to determine if it's gong to fit for purpose so I have another suggestion - but I may be completely off the mark...

Have you looked at the Ortho Mouse?

I've read your description of the problems you have and TBH i'm not sure my suggestion will be of any use or not - but for users who it benefits it gets good reviews.

Here's a YouTube Overview giving a detailed break down of its functions etc..

I realise you've ordered a mouse - but you've yet to determine if it's gong to fit for purpose so I have another suggestion - but I may be completely off the mark...

Have you looked at the Ortho Mouse?

I've read your description of the problems you have and TBH i'm not sure my suggestion will be of any use or not - but for users who it benefits it gets good reviews.

Here's a YouTube Overview giving a detailed break down of its functions etc..

Indeed I have, and I've nearly bought it several times actually, I just cannot stomach the cost, it's over £100, and it may not even work. I'm not convinced the main two mouse buttons would be any good, because they are so big would be hard to avoid clicking them. I do really want to try one of these OrthoMouses out though!

I just cannot stomach the cost, it's over £100 - I do really want to try one of these OrthoMouses out though!

Agreed, it's expensive but if it turned out to do the job I suspect it would be metaphorically 'worth its weight in gold' - as it must be a real PITA doing CAD with compromised mice alternatives.

The company must expect returns, via the Distance Selling Redulations, so you could think about having a test drive - if it doesn't work out it's the price of a return (you would be able to return as 'not fit for purpose' so I doubt you would have a restocking fee - but you would need to check).

Indeed I have, and I've nearly bought it several times actually, I just cannot stomach the cost, it's over £100, and it may not even work.

Would your employer not help out with equipment costs? Companies have a duty to do workplace assessments. Which is why there is a whole industry around footrests, monitor risers etc. A mouse that is comfortable for you, does not exacerbate your condition and lets you work productively should really be taken care of by them.

Agreed, it's expensive but if it turned out to do the job I suspect it would be metaphorically 'worth its weight in gold' - as it must be a real PITA doing CAD with compromised mice alternatives.

The company must expect returns, via the Distance Selling Redulations, so you could think about having a test drive - if it doesn't work out it's the price of a return (you would be able to return as 'not fit for purpose' so I doubt you would have a restocking fee - but you would need to check).

Well yeah you are right, I've spent so much on various bits of ergonomic kit include fancy mice over the months and years though, I'm trying to draw a line somewhere! As it happens I've just ordered an OrthoMouse anyway; convinced by the "position of function" and supposedly stiff buttons mentioned in reviews. It certainly is a massive PITA doing CAD with any mouse at the moment. By the end of next week I should have the OrthoMouse, the Humanscale Switch Mouse and a Kensington Expert Trackball (I'm pretty sure this won't work for me but people keep recommending them so I'm going to give it a spin (excuse the pun), indeed I didn't think the Contour Mouse would be any good at all but I bought one because people kept recommending it and it's probably been the most successful mouse I've bought yet).

Would your employer not help out with equipment costs? Companies have a duty to do workplace assessments. Which is why there is a whole industry around footrests, monitor risers etc. A mouse that is comfortable for you, does not exacerbate your condition and lets you work productively should really be taken care of by them.

They would in theory, it's just a bureaucratic nightmare, and they will insist they order it themselves from an approved supplier. Also, unfortunately this condition is only going to get worse, and I don't really want to be prejudiced or seen as less productive (i.e. valuable) in terms of promotions etc. going forward, so prefer to deal with these things myself as far as possible.

Also, unfortunately this condition is only going to get worse, and I don't really want to be prejudiced or seen as less productive (i.e. valuable) in terms of promotions etc. going forward, so prefer to deal with these things myself as far as possible.

Admirable but sickening that you have to second guess your career path due to how you think your employer will perceive your illness. Best of luck to you - your attitude is impeccable I hope that real/perceived prejudices don't get in the way of your career.

And glad to read you're going to try the ortho mouse - if it proves worthy you shouldn't have to change it for years, your condition permitting, as mice generally last a long time - hopefully you would get your monies worth...

Admirable but sickening that you have to second guess your career path due to how you think your employer will perceive your illness. Best of luck to you - your attitude is impeccable I hope that real/perceived prejudices don't get in the way of your career.

And glad to read you're going to try the ortho mouse - if it proves worthy you shouldn't have to change it for years, your condition permitting, as mice generally last a long time - hopefully you would get your monies worth...

Thank you very much for your kind words. It is unfortunate, but it's hard to work around as employers have to focus on the bottom line. It doesn't help that architecture is particularly time intensive typically involving 60 hour weeks as it is, anything that slows you down is fatal. Last time I spoke about this condition with an employer, their response was simply to suggest that I should think about a different career. I feel this is probably a typical attitude in the industry from experience. I refuse to not do things just because of this condition though, that is a slippery slope to becoming a vegetable.

Yeah hopefully, I shall post an update / mini review once they arrive and I've had chance to test them sufficiently!

Back
Top Bottom