Mouse Moving On It's Own

Associate
Hi all,

I seem to be having a problem with my mouse, the cursor keeps moving on it's own and I can't seem to figure out why.
Everything was working fine on the previous Friday and then when I switched the pc back on again this Monday is when I first noticed this issue.
I have 2 mice which I've tested which are both affected, both are wireless but even when I connect one of the mice to a wire I get the same issue.

So far I've tried the following:

• Virus and malware scans
  • Uninstall and re-install drivers
  • Checked windows update
  • Cleaned both mice optical sensors
  • Cleaned surface
  • Checked no other devices could be impacting this (There are no other devices)
  • I've tried the solutions suggested here as well - https://thegeekpage.com/mouse-pointer-automatically-moves/
I'm at a bit of a loss as to what else I can try, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Soldato
Maybe one of the dongles is getting interference or has a slight fault, did you leave the regular dongle connected when you tested the second mouse? Ideally, just remove both wireless dongles for the mice and test a corded one, unless the mouse you had plugged in will function corded without the dongle connected.

Associate
OP
Maybe one of the dongles is getting interference or has a slight fault, did you leave the regular dongle connected when you tested the second mouse? Ideally, just remove both wireless dongles for the mice and test a corded one, unless the mouse you had plugged in will function corded without the dongle connected.

I've tried it without the dongle and just connected via the wire, it's still the same issue.

Is it a desktop PC or a laptop?

If a laptop, does it have one of these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointing_stick in the middle of the keyboard?

And when the cursor moves on its own, does it move randomly, or drift to one corner of the screen?

It's a desktop. When the cursor moves it moves either to the left or the right and sometimes it could gradually go from one side to the next or just a slight movement.

I'm not sure what causes it as when I was running malware bytes full scan it didn't seem to do it at all.

Soldato
You sure there are no other devices, say a gamepad? I'd not expect malware to just slightly jiggle your mouse once in a while, this is probably a lot more simple than that.

Caporegime
My thought exactly. It really sounds like stick drift on a game pad or joystick. Disconnect every USB device and check for Bluetooth connected devices too.

Associate
OP
Yup I've definitely checked all other devices, there's no joypads/joysticks attached. Everything was ok on Friday, I went away for teh weekend and when logging in on Monday noticed the change.

The only things attached to the USB ports are my external hard drives, mice (as per initial post) and my keyboard. Even my surface is the exact same!

V F

V F

Soldato
You sure there are no other devices, say a gamepad? I'd not expect malware to just slightly jiggle your mouse once in a while, this is probably a lot more simple than that.

That happened to me last week playing MotoGP. Forgot I had the controller still plugged in as I reduced the deadzones on the sticks through steam. The sticks were spinning 360s 200mph. :cry:

Associate
Is your external hard drives next to your mouse? Could the vibration of the hard drives or interference from them.

Caporegime
Try and boot into Safe mode if you can?
At the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while selecting Power > Restart. After the PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart. After the PC restarts, a list of options is shown. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode.

Associate
OP
Try and boot into Safe mode if you can?
At the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while selecting Power > Restart. After the PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart. After the PC restarts, a list of options is shown. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode.
Tried this as well and troubleshooting couldn't find anything!

After trying out so many suggestions and potential fixes online I've narrowed the problem down, it's the Razer Mamba mouse.

Whenever it's switched on or sitting in the dock (even with power off) it will make the cursor move when I'm using the other mouse. The only way to stop this happening is to switch it off and take it off the charging dock.

I've looked online and it seems to be a well known issue that can happen to any Razer mouse whilst there doesn't seem to be a fix for it.

I don't really want to go down the route of having to buy a new mouse as I quite like this one, so is there anyone out there that has had a similar issue that knows of a fix?

Soldato
The problem mouse was connected when you were testing the secondary mouse all along? :/

Glad you found your issue all the same.

Glorious and Xtrfy have a similar'ish kind of razer design with their mice (if you ignore the holes), i'm sure one(maybe both) have a Wireless version on the horizon if you're specifically not a corded fan.

Associate
OP
The problem mouse was connected when you were testing the secondary mouse all along? :/

Glad you found your issue all the same.

Glorious and Xtrfy have a similar'ish kind of razer design with their mice (if you ignore the holes), i'm sure one(maybe both) have a Wireless version on the horizon if you're specifically not a corded fan.

Yup! I don't really want to buy a new mouse as I quite like the Mamba but I can't figure out how to resolve this issue. Glorious wireless D is the mouse I was looking at if I had to get another mouse but I'll try and find a resolution first!

Back
Top Bottom