Mouse suddenly doesnt like KVM?

Soldato
Weird one this.

I got a 4 way KVM and 4 PCS on it
1 = Master ( Win10 )
2 = Puppet ( Linux )
3 = Tast PC ( Currently Hachintosh )
4 = Server ( Win 10 )

Keyboard & Mouse are G.Skill RipJaws KM780 & MX780 )

Now, the mouse has suddenly stopped working. It lights up and everything but on the Master PC, it does nothing.
I unplugged and replugged and I switched over to anopther PC but on the other PCs it also failed to use the mouse. Keyboard is ok, just not the mouse.
I started up the Linux PC and it was booting up seriously slowly and it was having issues with a USB Device.

I also tried swapping the USB port that the KVM is in but that did not help.

I tried a few things, but nothing worked.

Plugging in the Mouse directly into the Master and it works fine, but through the KVM its seen as an unknown device on the Device manager on the PCs

I did a few other things to try it, and using a different mouse through the KVM works fine.

What I did after I tried so many things, was to power absolutely everythign down.

Even to the point of turning off the power ( My computer room and Garage are on a completely seperate Power supply to the rest of the house ). I left it off for a few minutes while I went to teh shop and when I came back, and started everything back up, nothing had changed, the Mouse is still showing up and unknown device through the KVM.

Anyone have any ideas what I can try?

Other than using a different mouse - Im 50/50 on going back to the L:ogitech Keyboard and mouse to be honest, but I really would prefer to sort this out.

Soldato
OP
Ok, something that I am looking into...

The PSU has failed.

Annoyingly, even when I unplug it, it does not make any difference... The lights all work, and I can switch between any PC just fine.

This does kind of irritate me, because that means that the USB is not just being re-directed to the correct PC, but its also powering the KVM too!

I really dont like that.

The PSU is a 5v at 2A and I have replaced the PSU in the past, the original was also 5v/2a and yes, its the right one, but I have gone for a 3w one this time, just in case.

Now, this does NOT make it a definite as to why the Mouse issues, however, I do also know that the GSkill mouse has tons of lights on it, while the others simply do not... This might explain why, and maybe the mouse might have pushed it over the edge?

Anyway, new PSU will be here tomorrow ( Maybe tuesday ) and hopefully that will sort it. I will update either way.

When it failed last time, I am sure that it was more obviously the PSU and this time ONLY the mouse is iffy, so that might be why I didnt catch it?

Tiem will tell.

Back
Top Bottom