Move to New Zealand?

Soldato
I work at a global company and a (generic) opportunity has come up at work for moving to New Zealand with all offices in NZ generally looking for staff. This is something my partner and I have half-joked about before, and having a job offer would reduce the risk in the move. Given our age (30 ish) and lack of children this seems like the last, best time to go for it.

My job would be a skilled migrant and I conservatively scored myself around 200 points based on years of work experience, education which is well in excess of the advertised minimum. The border is closed and only essential workers are being accepted at the moment, but I understand the job would be offered once the border opens.

However... I've never been to New Zealand. Is it really like what I think it is like? Quieter, slower, more peaceful, less hectic, amazing countryside... but also fairly British (so not a dramatic cultural shift), speak English etc. There are also some push factors away from the UK with crowding, noise, pollution but to put it out there I don't see NZ as some magic bullet that is going to fix some problem.

Has anyone on OCUK moved to (or is from) New Zealand? Things to read to wise up?

I guess it depends on where you would be moving to in NZ as there is quite a bit of variation.

I visited Auckland for a wedding last year and briefly considered moving as there are opportunities with my employer, however I wasn't that impressed after visiting.

Sydney on the other hand was vibrant, full of life and seemed like an amazing place to live and work.

I lived and worked in NZ for 6 months, although this was about 15 years ago.

I actually became depressed when I came back here and realised how **** this country is in comparison.

I imagine things may have moved on a bit since then but if I had the same opportunity as you I'd leave in a heartbeat.

Auckland is just another big city, but the rest of nz is stunning, people are extremely friendly.
I wouldnt move somewhere without at the very least going on a holiday there tho.

Would your partner be able to work?
Do you have plans to have kids, if so would you stay there? (depends on grandparents etc?)
If you do like travelling then is there an option for doing a couple of years stint with the Co over there and using that to travel/visit that side of the world?
Do you have financial ties to the UK (house, financed car etc)

Ive travelled across the country. Wellington is outstanding, in my opinion. Its a city I'd love to live in. Auckland, I'm not sure I would but wouldn't be unhappy about it.

Thanks for the replies everyone

Would your partner be able to work?
Do you have plans to have kids, if so would you stay there? (depends on grandparents etc?)
If you do like travelling then is there an option for doing a couple of years stint with the Co over there and using that to travel/visit that side of the world?
Do you have financial ties to the UK (house, financed car etc)

Yes
We'd be looking to stay more than a couple of years but that's good point about grandparent support in the event of children (not planned at the moment)
We have a mortgage and I have a student loan, that's the only debt.

We'd be looking to avoid Auckland for the reasons people have said above - there are offices all over both islands so a regional office is what I would go for (and is available)

Just go...... Honestly

If it works out. Awesome.

If it doesn't. Move back with a lot of life experiences.

You have a job! what more can you really need. Sure missing family is hard but Skypes amazing.

Ive travelled across the country. Wellington is outstanding, in my opinion. Its a city I'd love to live in. Auckland, I'm not sure I would but wouldn't be unhappy about it.

Yeh absolutely Wellington is a lovely city, I stayed in nz for 6 months and traveled the whole country but mainly stayed in queenstown, queenstown is probably the best place in the world :-)

Worked in Welly (upper hutt) for 7 months and stayed in NZ in total for 11 months.

Absolutely loved it. So much to do across both islands. Hot sun up north and cold mountains down south. Nature's playground I called NZ. Tongariro crossing, Taupo, Queenstown, Milford Sound amongst sooo many highlights.

My only regret, not staying but I'm also so gutted as I've lost my backup external hdd with about 10,000 photos. All gone. Gutted

Worked in Welly (upper hutt) for 7 months and stayed in NZ in total for 11 months.

Absolutely loved it. So much to do across both islands. Hot sun up north and cold mountains down south. Nature's playground I called NZ. Tongariro crossing, Taupo, Queenstown, Milford Sound amongst sooo many highlights.

My only regret, not staying but I'm also so gutted as I've lost my backup external hdd with about 10,000 photos. All gone. Gutted

Nice, the company I worked for were based in Upper Hutt but my job was in Carterton over the mountains in the Wairairapa.

I remember drinking in a pub in Upper Hut that looked like a mini pyramid, no idea if it's still there.

I had some mates in Johnsonville or Jville, as it was called, had some good fun there and Wellington.

Man I miss that place so much.

I lived in Auckland for 7 years, only just moved back to the UK. Amazing place to be honest. It all depends on how you want to live though. Auckland is a big city, like London for cost, cars etc. I would go Wellington or Christchurch if you had to be in a city. Rural is just stunning. Where Wez lives up in Omaha (an hour from Auckland) is beautiful. If you could do rural, I would.
People are really nice, love a good beer and a BBQ. Lots to be said about beaches etc.
I would suggest you go for a holiday first though. Maybe a month if you could swing it with your current job so you could travel around a bit and get the lay of the land etc.. Before I moved, I spent a few weeks traveling around the north island and fell in love with the place. A blind move would work though if you have the right personality. I don't haha so needed to be certain on if it was for me.
Also make sure the missus is on board as well as it can get really stressful if you are not on the same page.

Back
Top Bottom