Moving a boiler; cost?

Associate
Hi all

I'm looking at getting a new bathroom. The combi boiler is currently in a cupboard in the bathroom and there's a possibility I'd like to relocate it to somewhere else within the bathroom. Is there likely to be a large cost to moving the boiler from one side of the room to the other?

Thanks

#29.

Bat

Bat

Associate
Really depends on what wiring and pipework will be needed. If it's going back towards the run of pipes for example, then in theory they can be shortened, but if not, then extensions will be needed.

Then there's the flue to consider.

Could be a couple of hundred pounds if the move is ideal in terms of reusing services. Could be a lot more if not.

Only real way to get an accurate idea is to get some quotes!

Depending on the age and condition of the boiler, it might make sense to fit a new one while you're at it.

Associate
Depends if your chosen site is on an external wall, or if the flue will need to be located through the roof, other than that, it will be relocating all the pipework and wiring - you'll be paying mostly for the ball achedness of the job rather than hardware - I'd say about £500 should cover most eventualities.

There are some regs about energy efficient boilers - if you're moving an old boiler I think it will need replacing with a new one - worth checking it out first - get over to diynot.com

Soldato
Posting up a couple of pictures would help, since you're looking at 3 parts to the job really.

1) Physically disconnect the boiler and remount it in the new location.
2) Run new pipework
3) Reconnect and test

I'm sure the trades guys on here can tell you 1 & 3, but 2 could vary depending on whether it's really simple, or a total pig!

Soldato
Choosing a outside wall to mount the boiler, will keep the cost down with the flue.
The distance the flue can run depends on the number of bends, length & diameter of flue pipe.

What make is the boiler?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Many thanks for your responses. The boiler is made by Baxi, and the extent of the move would be from the left hand corner of the room to the right hand corner of the room, about 1.5 metres away. The boiler would remain on the same external wall. I'm trying to persuade my housemate away from the idea of moving the boiler...

Associate
I've just had a few quotes to move my boiler within the kitchen. It's remaining on an external wall. Going to the right and up a bit. I got the following quotes:

£250
£350
£560
£750

Go figure.

Soldato
I've just had a few quotes to move my boiler within the kitchen. It's remaining on an external wall. Going to the right and up a bit. I got the following quotes:

£250
£350
£560
£750

Go figure.

Someone taking **** quoting £560 & £750, usually around £250 - £350, depends on the amount of extra copper pipe there is, using same flue.

Soldato
I`m increasingly getting annoyed at tradesmen charging outrageous prices, gas safe engineers want stupid amounts typically, in my experience they want £300-£350 for about 6 hours actual work, also recently had a tiler (not time served) wanting £400 for a maximum day and a half's work without a receipt.....

Soldato
I paid £430 recently as i needed a flue extension, the flue pipe alone was £80 of the costs, move from one room to another same floor with my house fully stripped back so didnt need to move anything or worry about being neat.

also had a full service of the boiler within this cost and test once fitted.

Back
Top Bottom