Moving cherished numbers between my own vehicles?

Soldato
I have Googled this and looked at online guidance from DVLA but I'm still unsure on how to achieve (if it can even be done) this without having to incur multiple retention fee costs along with the additional waiting time it appears it will require.

Scenario is this:-

I have a cherished number on my M340i (daily driver) that I want to move to my Z4 (weekend car). I then want to move a cherished number from one of my motorcycles to the M340i.

The Z4 also has a cherished number on it (came with the car when I bought it) but it doesn't really mean anything personal to me so I'm not too bothered about what happens to that once the number from the M340i moves to it, although it would be a bonus if it was possible to move it from the Z4 to the bike, simply in order to keep it - but this wouldn't be essential.

So in summary, I'd like to move numbers between my vehicles, pretty much swapping them all around (as already said - Z4 one not hugely important). Is there a way to do this as direct swaps? As far as I can see I'd need to take them off their respective vehicles and put them on retention, then move them where they need to go, from the retention certificates. The fees involved in that (I'm assuming it would be 2 x £80 if it was just the two moves i.e. between the M340i to the Z4 and then from the bike to the M340i) wouldn't really bother me, it's the timescales involved in it all which are annoying!

All vehicles are owned by myself and registered to me.

Any ideas, or will I just need to have a bit of patience and wait??!! :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
There shouldn’t be any waiting time, you can do it all online pretty sharphish.

I’ve moved plates between three cars on the same day, resulting in one getting its original age-related plate back.

Caporegime
There shouldn’t be any waiting time, you can do it all online pretty sharphish.

I’ve moved plates between three cars on the same day, resulting in one getting its original age-related plate back.

I suspect the waiting time will come from when the OP wants to put his motorcycle onto the m340i. From memory you need the 11 digit code from the last issued V5 and when he removes the plate from his M340i, although he will get a code to use put that plate on another vehicle immediately, his existing V5 number wont work until he gets his new one.

So the list of doing it would be

Take cherished no plate off M340i (instant online, pay £80)
Put 340i onto Z4 (instant online. Option to put Z4 no plate on retention, instant online pay £80)
Wait 2-3 days for new V5 to come from DVLA for your M340i
Take cherished number from motorcylce (instant online, pay £80)
Put motorcycle no plate on M340i (instant online so long as you have newest V5)

So the delay would only be on the M340i which for a few days would need its old date related plate on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom