Moving database & forums

Permabanned
I run a guild website (I put the run part very loosely :p) the site is www.mmo-guild.co.uk, its based on e107, I have had it here for about 5/7 years now, but as of late being having a few problems (along with others) and being looking to move the site.

My problem is a) I do not want to have to make everyone resign up, we all know how hard that is and b) I would prefer not to lose the forums as they give the guild a sense of history.

Now is it possible to move the database/forums, I am totally rubbish at this and the guy who used to do this for us is not around anymore.

Its a pity as its being a great place with a good price to host our site.

Cheers

Soldato
Log into the cpanel of your hosting. There will be an option to make backups of your database(s). Not heard of that forum software though, if it's open source you should be able to install it on another host and import your backed up database(s). If you want / have to change forum software then you'd most likely need to do a piece of work around how the new database stores everything and how you can map your current data over.

Permabanned
OP
I should add if I could fix the e107 issues I'm having I would stay (needs upgrading) but from reading about it, its needs to just be upgraded and not reinstalled which would lose me everything.

Check your current e107 version and go to the e107 Downloads page on the developers website. You now need to make sure you download the correct files. At the top should be the latest stable version, you do not need to download the full version files. Overwriting your site files with the full version will break your website.

It's difficult at I have had it here a long time, but really worried about the future of where it's hosted.

Added: really like the look of vidahost anyone here using them or the other one, which is better? as I see on vidahost they say they can transfer the site, all I would really want transfered is the forums and database as would prefer to have a remake of the site, think its looks pretty dated now.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Thanks top everyone who gave advice here, decided to move the site with the help of Vidahost (yup cheers for that info have taken a package with them 3 years with a extra 15% discount :D)

Going to try build a brand new website, this could be fun .......not :p

Associate
Both the hosts are brilliant Im with Vida myself have about 10 websites hosted with them. None of them have ever suffered downtime. (They did a major upgrade to the system few months back. Emails was sent out weeks in advance warning everyone your sites will be down.) Even then I didn't notice down time.

Theres customer support is the best I've experienced from any host (Over 10 years I've used shed loads.) Support tickets answered in minutes. Average wait less than 15 minutes. Thats first class support.

TSO are also meant to be just has good. But no experience with them personally. From what I know its flip a coin both will look after all your needs.

Back
Top Bottom