Moving from full water-cooling to AIO

Soldato
So with Zen5 around the corner I'm looking at finally saying goodbye to my Sandybridge E rig.
It was fully under water in a full tower case which no longer fits what I do any more.
I'm going to move to mini ITX to reclaim some space for WFH and I'm curious, what is the lifespan for a typical 240mm AIO setup? I have to be careful as I can't buy anything due to size restrictions, but how long do they last and does more expensive mean longer life or just better rad/pump/fan design?

Associate
So with Zen5 around the corner I'm looking at finally saying goodbye to my Sandybridge E rig.
It was fully under water in a full tower case which no longer fits what I do any more.
I'm going to move to mini ITX to reclaim some space for WFH and I'm curious, what is the lifespan for a typical 240mm AIO setup? I have to be careful as I can't buy anything due to size restrictions, but how long do they last and does more expensive mean longer life or just better rad/pump/fan design?

some aio's have a 5 or 6 year warranty. Might be best to wait for zen5 to release and see what aio works best for your budget

Soldato
They're up to 6 year warranties now.

I've got an AIO that's 15 years old - with the fans replaced about 3 times.

It's not cutting edge stuff, the metals must not corrode, the liquid must be stable, the tubes must be resistant to degrading. And the fans... are just fans. Any stories around the model that you're looking at of manufacturer incompetence just dodge it.

And then there's bling just to give excuses to inflate the price, RBG trash, LCD screens, weird built in fans on the pump which can't be replaced. So the price may not reflect the quality of the absolute essentials.

Soldato
Haven't water cooled in years so probably can't help. If I was going water I think I would look at Thermaright and AlphaCool.

Thermalright has always been good quality product and in last couple of years have been much lower priced than competition. They have several AIO line to choose from.

Alphacool Eisbaer is old line with hose hose quick connects for expansion and copper radiator from 92mm to 129x 240mn, 360mm, 140x280mm and 200nn fanned rad. I Think latest line is Core 2 Aurora with aluminum rather than copper rads. Not sure if that's a problem with right coolant.

Very interested is seeing what you end up getting and how it all works out.

Soldato
They're up to 6 year warranties now.

I've got an AIO that's 15 years old - with the fans replaced about 3 times.

It's not cutting edge stuff, the metals must not corrode, the liquid must be stable, the tubes must be resistant to degrading. And the fans... are just fans. Any stories around the model that you're looking at of manufacturer incompetence just dodge it.

And then there's bling just to give excuses to inflate the price, RBG trash, LCD screens, weird built in fans on the pump which can't be replaced. So the price may not reflect the quality of the absolute essentials.
I'm surprised it's lasted that long, have you noticed a significant degradation in performance?

Soldato
I'm surprised it's lasted that long, have you noticed a significant degradation in performance?

No, I see improved performance, but there are important details.

The first cpu was an i5 750 oc from 2.66 to 4ghz on 1.4v along with 8gb ram. That became unreliable after a decade (wonder why) so it got replaced with a 2nd hand i5 760 oc from 2.8 to 4ghz on 1.2v along with 16gb ram.

I can show you an old OC test screenshot vs the same thing again as close as I can (except not 99 runs because that's half a day)

4ghz760.png

Well over 10 degrees better from a similar room temp is obviously the cpu replacement doing the same work with less power. But the AIO has to be functional to realise the benefit and it is. No original fan of course.

Back
Top Bottom