Moving into new place - internet

Soldato
Am moving into a new place in the next week. Currently stuck on ADSL2+ @ 10Mb and no access to fibre, but I can get Virgin installed at the new place am going for the M500 option. Went up to day to take a few pics and see what the cable situation is like and found this. I know you guys will know what it is.

Box on the exterior front wall. Can't open as it's cable tied shut.

XhKEH8bh.jpeg

It comes out of the interior wall like this.

88lwT13h.jpeg

lfII7G6h.jpeg

One is obviously a coax for an aerial or something, but the other?

XcPykH4h.jpeg

ZKiJt3Qh.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
Those definitely seem to be connectors that Virgin Media uses. As @Participant says, the push fit one will be for the TV and the coax for the broadband. Though I seem to recall that my SuperHub 5 installation kit was supplied with a push fit connector which I opted not to use.

Soldato
Unless they've changed things VM use the screw secured connector for both Router and TV boxes, which is why they split from the same incoming cable, the other push fit one is a secondary attachment as you can see in your second pic and I'd suspect that somebody has attempted to plug it directly into an aerial socket which so far as I am aware will not work.

Soldato
Are you confident that is the Virgin connection box? It doesn't LOOK like a satellite splitter, but there could be some other distribution in place if multiple homes served from one dish (maybe not likely as it's external wiring). So I think most likely it's a Virgin feed designed to go to a set top box and a modem, that someone has fit an adapter onto.

BTW the threaded connector is called Type F and the smooth one is often called just RF or Belling.

When we bought our house I pre-ordered Virgin self-install and it was on the doorstep the day we got keys.

Back
Top Bottom