Moving to a full Apple configuration?

Soldato
When I was younger, I was always an Apple fan, but I haven't owned any Apple hardware since I owned a 2006 Mac Pro. I'd like to go back to Apple because I am fed up with Windows and Linux annoys me for the most part. At the end of the day, I just want my computers to work well and to work well with each other.

Given the above, I'm thinking of moving to Apple for everything in one go. A new computer, a new phone and a new Apple TV.

I was thinking about the 16" Macbook Pro and an iPhone 11 Pro. The main work will be programming for both iOS, macOS and web development although I also want to do some Linux programming using virtual machines.

What I want is to use the Macbook Pro as a desktop and plug my three DisplayPort monitors into it, and then if I want to take it out with me, I can just unplug my three monitors and take it with me.

Does anyone have any hints for making the move easier? Are there any pros and cons at all?

Man of Honour
Just do it, you get 14 day returns so you can try it all out and if it doesn't work out then return the items. However macOS needs a bit longer than 14 days IMO to get the most out of it.

Soldato
Sounds like a nice plan, go for it. You definitely can plug in monitors/keyboard/mouse etc to your MBP. Invest in a good dock e.g. HengeDock and you are just one cable for everything. Unplug it and away you go.

EDIT: Two monitors into the Henge and then you will need one thunderbolt->dp for your third monitor.

Soldato
I’m a bit out of the loop Mac wise (just use my iPad Pro nowadays) however I’m sure you can get thunderbolt 3 Docks with multiple hdmi/MDP outputs

Associate
https://www.dell.com/en-uk/work/shop/dell-universal-dock-d6000/apd/452-bcyj/pc-accessories

Thunderbolt 3 cable to the front, Then use the HDMI and 2x DisplayPort to your three monitors
That's not a Thunderbolt 3 dock, only USB C. Although you can do that, it'll use Displaylink drivers which are laggy, especially on Macs.

Something like this would be better

https://www.caldigit.com/ts3-plus/

Although it would only deal with 2 monitors. You would have to use the third from a port in the MBP - I don't know of any docks that do 3 x displayport.

Back
Top Bottom